Chapter Four

"Hey, baby doll come on, you're gonna have to sit in the backseat this afternoon," my father smiled at me.

Normally, I greet him if he were to ever pick me up after school, however, this new "circumstance" made the hairs on my neck stand straight up.

I climbed into the back of the car and asked, "Where's Ellie?" as I noticed she wasn't in her car seat.

He glares at me, "Dime, you don' have manners? Say good afternoon," he commanded.

"Hi," I countered with a monotoned voice.

"This is my really good friend, Crystal," he introduced her.

"Hello, Dime, what a pretty name it's very wonderful to meet you," Crystal said extending her manicured fingernails to me.

Crystal was a light-skinned curvy woman with her hair bleached blonde and tapered at the sides with the top portion grown out slightly. She was rather pretty, she was wearing a short light green dress and white sandals.

I took her hand and noticed a nice looking silver bracelet around her wrist.

"I like your bracelet," I complimented.

"Aw, thank you Hunny," She beamed at me showing off her pink gums and white teeth.

"Daddy, where's Ellie?" I repeated my earlier question.

"We gonna pick her up from daycare then I'm gonna give Crystal a ride home if that's okay with you muh lady," He beamed at me.

I smiled back at him and nodded my head, because my father's charm even worked on me.

~~~

After a short five minute drive, we got to the daycare Elodie goes to.

"Ort, comin' back now," my father said.

Then there was still silence in the atmosphere.

"So, how was school today?" Crystal remarked breaking the awkward silence.

"Uhh, it was good," I responded.

"I hope yuh mindin' yuh books and not boys," She said chuckling.

I giggled. "No!"

"Good girl,"

Sounds just like something my mother would say, I thought to myself.

"...Cuz yuh too pretty to have boys tying up yuh pretty," She complimented me.

This made me blush. At that moment I decided that I'll like Crystal.

My father is walking out of the daycare now, cradling my sister in one of his arm.

Ellie was bellowing and keeping a lot of noise as usual. I think out of my parents, she prefered my mother, she had a lot more patience than him.

He opened the car door and rested the crying baby in her car seat not even trying to console her. he probably realises that his charm doesn't work on everyone.

I leaned over and tickled her cheek with my nose, she stopped crying instantly and started laughing.

I liked hearing my sister's laugh, I still do.