"You are my only one." (Myrtasay X Zeldris)

Entry for a writing contest. I added a picture of the two, so you know how they look. They're my babies, so don't hurt them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The night air was cold, cold enough to freeze puddles to a slippery mess. It was a clear night, clear and beautiful and it seemed like the stars where challenging the moon to a contest about who could shine brighter and sparkle more intensely. Earlier today, the first snow had fallen, staying on the ground as a thin white blanket, instantly destroyed by anyone who walked over it.

It was Zeldris' first snow in over 3000 years. He stood outside of the castle in Camelot, leaning onto a wall, waiting for his partner to show up. Well, not really his partner. They just went out patrolling the nightly city every few days, making sure everything stayed in order.

His breath formed a white cloud in front of his mouth as he sighed, exhaling all the air he has had in his lungs, before breathing in the cold and fresh air around him. It was cold enough to make him freeze, so he hoped for his partner to turn up soon.
Somehow, he always felt warm when he was with her. He leaned onto the wall, thinking back to when they woke up from the seal.

She had been there. Myrtasay, one of the many children that his father had taken away from their parents and put through massive amounts of training and experiments, in order to make them be their perfect weapon in a war. Most of them died. By the time they had finished their training, the Holy War had already been going on for quite a while. Only 150 of the over 2000 children had survived the experiments and of those 150, only 40 were in a good enough state to fight, way too few for a full elite force that was trained to assist the Ten Commandments and take on everything in their way, if they had to.

"Here you are. I've been looking for you all over this cursed place."
The dark and cold voice of Myrtasay behind him made him turn around. He nodded at her, trying to stay serious, but it was hard in her presence.
"I told you I'd be waiting at the front gate.", he said, looking up at her. She was way taller than him, yet it felt like they were on the same level. It always had.
"Hm..."
The black haired woman started walking without another word. Zeldris pushed himself off the wall, took two quick steps to be right next to her and then slowed down to her pace.

"So." He was trying to strike up a conversation even though he knew it was most likely a dead end. Myrtasay wasn't talkative, unless she was insulting someone. "How was your day?"
"Fine.", she replied, cold as always. Her tone of voice indicated that she didn't want to speak, but Zeldris refused to accept that.

Last time, he had actually managed to make her talk. After some time, but they've had a genuine talk about things.
They were actually not that different. Both of them had siblings that the demon king saw as traitors, they were both cold and serious on the outside, yet different on the inside.

The demon prince glanced over at the woman next to him. Her translucent skin seemed to glow in the silver light of the moon, looking silver instead of the light gray it actually was. Her glowing skin was a total contrast to her black, empty eyes. While her skin seemed to take in the light and turn Myrtasay's body into a light source itself, her eyes absorbed any single bit of light that hit them. There were no light reflections on those cold black eyes, none at all.
'The Queen Of Darkness'. That's how she had been called by the people who performed the experiments. Kind of ironic, given the fact that he had been given the title of 'Prince Of Darkness'.

They just seemed to fit together perfectly.
Now all Zeldris needed, was to get beneath that cold mask that she was wearing.

"My day was kinda boring. I didn't do much. Trained my abilities a bit, took a walk... I found this quite interesting place, humans really love cooking for others. It's a tavern of some sort, thought not like you'd imagine it. It's... Actually quite pretty." He started talking. It didn't matter about what, it was mostly small talk that teased Myrtasay out of her shell.
"I see."
Zeldris felt like all the air was sucked out of his body. She was hard to crack today. But she fascinated him on so many levels, he just wanted to know what was behind her emotionless act. He had seen glimpses of it here and there. When that group of rebellious humans had attacked them by throwing stones and lanterns at them, not much for a group of demons, but she had stepped in front of him without a second thought, as if she was actively shielding him. And that hadn't been the only time where she seemingly protected him from something. He didn't need her protection, but somehow it felt nice. It felt really good knowing she was there, like a shadow, following him everywhere.