02 | Red Roses

When Peko walked into the classroom the next day, she wasn't expecting to find a rose on her desk. Peko glanced at Misa who was standing next to her with a shy smile. Taking the red rose in her hand, Peko arched an eyebrow.

    "Is this from you?" she asked uncertainly. Misa merely nodded, her face heating up in embarrassment. Peko twirled the flower between her fingers.

     "Why?"

     "Well, you seemed to like my begonia yesterday and so when I was working on some arrangements last night, I saw that one and it reminded me of you." Misa replied while playing with strands of her long brown hair. Peko furrowed her eyebrows.

"What - What do I do with it?"

Misa giggled, "Haven't you ever gotten flowers before."

Peko stared at her blankly. Misa's smile fell.

"Oh. Well, I could help you put it in your hair if you'd like? I made sure to get rid of all the thorns so they won't hurt you."

Peko stared at her for a second before her lips curled into an almost-smile.

"I would like that. Thank you."

-

Peko and Misa talked that day. They had a conversation. And it lasted the whole class. Misa was ecstatic. After class ended, Misa asked Peko if she wanted to go for a walk around the school so they could keep talking. Peko said yes.

     "...and then Eiji dumped it all over me! It was disgusting!" Misa said, pulling the most grossed out face she could manage. Peko chuckled.

     "Do you have any siblings, Peko?"

     "I'm an orphan. I don't have any siblings." she replied. Misa's jaw slackened as she looked at the other girl with sad eyes.

     "Oh, Peko, I am so sorry! I didn't mean to-"

    "No," Peko cut her off quickly, "no, it's alright. It doesn't upset me. I never knew my biological family. I was taken in when I was very young. I am very grateful to my new family. I owe them everything."

     "They sound wonderful." Misa said. Peko gave her a small smile.

     The two girls sat down on one of the benches in the courtyard and watched some of the other students pass around a football. Hajime passed the ball to Mahiru but right after she caught it, Ibuki tackled her to the ground.

     "Ibuki we're not playing real football! We're just passing the ball around! Get off! Ow!"

     "Ibuki stop biting her!"

     Misa giggled and turned to Peko only to see her staring across the courtyard at Fuyuhiko Kuzuryu. From what Misa has seen of him, he wasn't the nicest guy around. He was arrogant, swore a lot, and didn't get along with the rest of the class very well. When Peko stared at him, she didn't show much emotion on her face. Most people wouldn't notice, but Misa saw Peko's eyes soften as she looked at the Ultimate Yakuza. Misa felt a tightness in her chest. The frown on her face quickly transformed into a fake smile as Peko turned to look at her.

-

     The walk back to the dorms was quiet but not uncomfortably so. When they stopped in front of Misa's door, Peko turned to face her.

     "Thank you for today. I had... fun."

     "I had fun too!" Misa chirped. The girls  stared at each other after that, neither one knowing what to do or say.

     "Yes, well, I had better get going if I am to fit in some practice before bed." said Peko as she shifted the sword on her back. Misa nodded with a smile.

     "Yeah. Goodnight then. I'll see you tomorrow!"

     Peko smiled, "See you tomorrow."

     Misa walked into her dorm and shut the door behind her softly. She smiled and began to get ready for bed. Walking over to her work desk, Misa began to prepare a rose to bring to Peko the next day. As she was trimming off the thorns, she felt as though something were stuck in her throat and began to cough. After a minute, the feeling passed and Misa shrugged it off and kept working.

-

     After Misa had shut the door, Peko had stared at it for a moment before shaking her head and walking away. When she arrived in front of her dorm room, she was surprised to find the door unlocked. Peko unsheathed her sword and slowly stepped inside the dark room, closing the door behind her. When she reached the centre of the room she sensed someone behind her and swung her sword at the intruder. The sword stopped a hair away from Fuyuhiko's neck.

     "Jesus, it's just me Peko! Fuck!"

     "Young Master!" Peko sighed and put her sword back in its sheath, "You shouldn't startle me like that."

     "Geez Peko, you're the one who gave me a fuckin' key. And I thought I told you to cut that "Young Master" crap."

     "My apologies, Youn- Fuyuhiko. Were you in need of my services?"

     "Fuck, Peko! No! We're not killing anybody here! Can't we just hang out? You know, like normal people do?"

     "Oh. Alright. What would you like to do?"

     "I don't fucking know. Talk, I guess. We don't really get to talk much during school hours so we could talk about that."

     Peko sat down on the edge of her bed while Fuyuhiko sat on a nearby chair, propping his feet up on her desk.

     "How have you enjoyed your classes so far?" she asked. Fuyuhiko chuckled.

     "Haven't learned shit."

     "Have you been completing your homework?"

     "God, Peko, you sound like my mother."

     "I can complete your homework for you if you would rather focus your attention elsewhere."

     "No! Peko, you're not my fuckin' slave, okay? You don't have to do everything for me."

     "Yes, Y- Fuyuhiko."

     It went quiet for a moment. Fuyuhiko glanced up at Peko and narrowed his eyes as he inspected her face.

     "What do you have in your hair?"

     Peko's eyes widened as she quickly took the rose out of her hair.

     "It's nothing. It was just a gift from a - a friend. I can throw it away if you'd like."

     "No. Don't get rid of it. Your friend gave it to you. You should have more respect for it than that."

     Peko looked down at the red rose in her hand before grabbing a cup of water and setting it down on her bedside table. She smiled at the flower before placing it in the makeshift vase.