Ch3: Unsettling Guests

Anger swelled in my chest and my eyes never moved from the disrespectful guest my den had so welcomed. His eyes did not even look slightly intimidated by my stance, in fact, it looked as if he was trying to boost out his chest to welcome a challenge. Yet due to his injuries, the most he could do was express a grin and a hiss of his own. I was almost certain we would have fought in that cave until a victor was claimed, but Elder saw no need for such, gently nuzzling me while baring his own fangs. "My Shaman, please calm yourself." He whispered gently, his nose was about my size, and he could have all knocked me over and held me at bay, but his touch was gentle and consistent. My body extinguished, from the fires of my rage, and I tried my best to breathe softly to soothe thoughts of ripping him to shreds. Oh, but how I wanted to bare my fangs into his neck. I wondered how his blood would taste against my lips, and how his head would look on my wall. I usually let insults slide off, never giving satisfaction to anyone, but that word... "Hybrid." That was one definite way of receiving a quick death by my hands.

The dragon chuckled softly as the elder withdrew his head from my frame. "Who knew shamans had such a small temper." He mocked me, resting his head back to the floor with a slight wince of pain. "You best watch your tongue, you and your den, are our guest so long if you behave yourself." The Elder reminded him, that he was to be grateful we went so far as to extend our den to them in their time of need, and he goes to repay us by insulting me. Western Dragons are known for many things, their drive for battle, their sarcastic and lack of respect nature. Western Dragons were always my least liked Den for how they ran things, but I said nothing, for it was their culture, not mine. Once I found my center and was able to think clearly, I cleared my throat and adjusted my stance to fit a more suitable calm demeanor. "Returning to the question of your presence here." "I do not believe you had the pleasure of asking me that." The dragon added to my statement, not wanting to stop trying to ruffle my feathers. "I believe you have not even asked my name... Oh, great shaman." He continued. I could feel my brows twitching in the annoyance of his behavior, but with another deep breath, I bowed my head. "Forgive me, introductions are important." I agreed. "I am Naevia Reign... you are aware of my titles, so I shall not repeat them." He huffed to my attempt to give my name and rolled his eyes. "I am Roxlar, Lord, and champion of the Western Den." I'm sure if he wasn't bleeding, he would have extended his winds, and 'shown' us the might that was him. There was no end to the pride of a western Dragon, though he did give me some ammo to retort for his cruel behavior. Of course, I used to. "Champion huh?" I asked seeming interested in such an honorable title, and it shown in his eyes that my 'interest' caught his attention. I coiled a smile, knowing he was not ready for my next question.

"Can you still really say you're the champion?" I teased, pointing out all at once his condition of him and the remainder of his den. I swore I could see his pride crack just by my words, while his facial expression dropped looking to his den brothers and sisters who were sleeping off their injuries. "What did happen to your den?" The Elder questioned looking over to the others as well, while I kept my attention on the suppose Champion. He signed heavily and turned to us with a more serious expression, and his answer was nothing I expected or was ready to hear. "Luridian... Marches." The Elder and I glanced at each other and held our breaths for a moment before gazing back at Roxlar. "A-are you sure!?" I asked in a quick fashion, setting the dragons back a little in shock of my outburst. Roxlar narrowed his eyes. "I know what I saw." He snarled at my question. "They bared the crest of the Luridian King, with black armor, and weapons that could pierce through our scale's." It was them... There is only one Kingdom that could slay any beast that stood in their way...

I could feel my body shiver with an uneasy feeling, and they took notice of it. "Fear not my Shaman." The elder soothed. "There are no resources here, so it's useless to claim the south." His words did bring reassurance to me, but when have we known Luridian to take lands for resources? I tried to steady myself and reassure me that they would not dare try to claim the south, it was too wild and untamable I thought. Yet so was the north, and how many years have they attempted to challenge them? I pondered the chances of us being in a full out war, but I could not find any reason for them to even chance coming to the south. First, it was too hot here, they would die of heat exhaustion with their black armor. Next, they did not know the terrain, the west was mountains and rocky hills, but here it was all trees and meadows, that pretty much all looked the same if you did not know the area. Finally, there was no way of them knowing of the southern village.

"How wrong you are elder." Roxlar chimed in, to make Elder's attempt to bring calm to be for not. The Elder lifted his head in dominance and raised a brow for the confusion. "Unless you know something we do not, then my words are absolute." I nodded softly agreeing with Elder. "Besides..." I added on. "Luridian cannot handle the all year summer heat of the south." Roxlar shook his head softly disagreeing with us, "Before I was able to escape, I was hiding with the few survivors you see before you, and we heard their orders from the King." I held my breath and wrapped my arms around my frame trying to hope for a joke or something. Roxlar seemed the type to hold a grudge against any who insults him, and I prayed this was what he classified as payback. Yet I was dismayed as he continued to speak. "Their orders are to conquer the west and south region, starting with that pathetic excuse for a village east of here." My hues widened, and I swore my heart stopped, skipping a beat. "How do they know of the village?!" I questioned looking to Elder for the guidance of how they could possibly know of it. We purposely had them set up in the furthest meadow from us, in the case of this! Unless... They were looking for the Den and spotted Ignitus and I fly.

Without another word, I turned to bolt toward the exit of the cave, with the Elder calling out for me to stop. I couldn't though, the thought of Luridian reaching the village before I made my blood boil. "Ignitus!" I cried out, once I was engulfed in the sunlight, looking around for the only red dragon among them. "Ignitus!!!" I cried out again, dashing between groups of dragons, trying to find the right one. "Over here!" I heard from behind as he ran up to me in a hurry, probably assuming I was in danger of some sort, but I gave no time for an explanation as I climbed onto his back, "To the village! And fly fast!" I begged him, patting his large neck with the attempt to rush him into the air, but he did not budge, only spread in wings and demanded a reason for the haste. "NAEVIA!" The Elder rushed to our sides, standing taller than Ignitus, as he spread out his wings to keep us in place. "Think before you fly off child!" He reasoned, but Ignitus still stood confused. "I will not allow Luridian to march upon our lands like they own it!" I argued. "They were able to take down an entire den child!" He retorted. "What makes you think YOU can take them on in combat?!" "They will not be to defensive for a bunch of unarmed merchant sellers! Please!" I begged. Was I really this worried over a small village? Its true the people there meant to me as friends, but the Den was my priority. Should I really risk being seen in the sky?

I shook my head, if Luridian was marching on the village, they would come to the Den next. I had to stop them in their tracks before that happened. I looked at the elder, with no chance of changing my decision. Ignitus seemed to be on board once he heard what was happening and made a quick dodge around the elder and took to the sky as he called out to us. "Naevia! Please! LURIDIAN WILL BE MOSTLY AFTER YOU!" He called out, his voice shaking with concern as Ignitus took to the clouds for cover, as to not be seen. I knew his words to be true. I knew the moment Luridian laid their eyes on me, they would not stop claiming the south until I was within the King's grasp, but that was what I was counting on. How could Luridian go after the village and the Den, if they were looking for me?