Storm Witch

Elizabeth.

"What?" she asked sleepily.

Absolute silence followed. She didn't hear anything else in the immediate area, not even the creatures of the forest, through the soundproof walls. How had she heard her name?

She turned over in her bed, planning to go back to sleep. She sighed, eyes closed as sleep enveloped her-

Elizabeth...

Her eyes shot open.

"Oh my goodness, what is it?" she moaned before burying her face into a pillow.

Elizabeth?

The witch growled, storming out of her room, hand pressing against her sternum to ease the pressure as she moved.

"Okay, if you think that waking me up early for a birthday surprise is a good idea, you've another thing coming. Who changed the soundproofing on my walls?"

She waited for her fellow soldiers to show themselves, crossing her arms after the strange pain receded from her chest.

"You called me, and here I am. What now?" she asked, impatiently.

"Uh, Elizabeth? Who and what are you talking about?" Screven asked quietly, walking into the Night Owls' sleeping area. "Aside from the Early Birds, who are eating breakfast, the rest are all sleeping."

"Are you sure?" Elizabeth asked, confused. "Because I was sure I heard someone calling me. If it wasn't any of you, what else could have woken me up?"

Elizabeth!

The uncomfortable pressure in the centre of her chest caught her attention again, and she understood that was what had disturbed her in the first place. Hearing her twin's telepathic voice was so normal, it was as if he stood next to her, speaking out loud.

She frowned, holding up a hand to stop Screven from talking

Bro?

Thank the stars that you heard me.

What's wrong?

A raid in the city. I've been captured.

"Screven, did you get me a birthday present yet?" she asked aloud, splitting her focus between her twin connection and an in-person conversation. Her hands clenched into fists in both fear and anger.

James, do you know where you are?

I don't know.

Doesn't matter. I'll find you.

"Not yet. I was actually about to make a run," Screven said, raising an eyebrow as her fists. "You were still supposed to be sleeping, after all."

"Well, I'd rather you come with me instead, fully armed with your weapons and wits," Elizabeth said.

Her eyes closed as she tried to focus on her twin's location using their connection as siblings, and friends. As long as the other was alive, and their bond was strong, Elizabeth and James would be able to sense each other.

A spark of her energy shot outward in the psychic energy realm, moving across space and time to find her brother.

Screven studied her, trying to gauge exactly how much trouble he was about to get into. He looked back to the other side of the campsite, spotting Eli by the fire.

The Sun Mage was cooking breakfast, having assigned himself the task the night before. He didn't miss Screven's look, and raised both eyebrows in silent question as he glanced between Elizabeth and the Water Elemental.