Chapters 5-6

Chapter 5:

Words and Raindrops

The pain from the assault left a sliver in Meira's heart that nobody, least of all her, knew how to remove. Marcus continued her training, believing that it could help rebuild her self confidence. He also implemented new laws, containing harsh consequences for the "theft of innocence," hoping to rebuild her confidence in others, but she had already fallen so far away. The last method he could think of to help his friend was to appeal to her philosophical mind. He believed that she could think her way through it.

His approach was long thought out before any attempt to implement it. He wore anew piece of chest armor, the old one hanging in his private room as a reminder to proceed with caution around her. Any mention of the incident, he feared, could bring about a wrath that he might not walkaway from and, then, his friend would be lost forever in a regret of her own making.

Before the first attempt, the General approached Meira's parents while she was tending to the horses. His decision to include them past that point was an act of respect that they deeply appreciated.

"I have seen this behavior in some soldiers returning from war," Marcus explained. "I have also seen it in those taken by war. Their wills are broken and all their hope is replaced with fear and despair. I don't know what could have helped them. I don't know what could help Meiri, but I want to try." Yeshua and Eleora held hands at the thought that something deeply troubled their daughter, but still were unaware of what had happened.

"Are you saying that our daughter has seen combat?" Yeshua asked. "Are you accusing Meira of murder?"

"No," Marcus answered, searching their faces and realizing, in that moment, that Meira had not told them of the incident. "What I'm saying is that I recognize the behavior. I could be wrong, but I would rather take a chance and be wrong than let it continue to get worse without trying."

"What do you want to try?" Eleora asked.

"I want to keep her as busy as possible," he answered. "Of course, I will pay her for her efforts and I believe she should put in more work with you," he said to Yeshua. "She's become quite strong and she has an incredibly sharp mind. Perhaps, you could include her in your business dealings or something to engage her mind?"

"She was good with the customers," Yeshua agreed, nodding his head. "Do you think with the way she's being that this would be good for her?I've been keeping her from interacting with others until she felt better, trying to relieve some of her burden. Do you think extra work is what she needs?"

"I believe that it is worth a try," Marcus responded. "If she seems to get worse, we can always take a step back and regroup."

Eleora was listening and watching the General's body language, suspicious of his intentions. "Why are you showing such an interest in our daughter?"she asked. "Yehudhi do not marry outside of Yehudhi," she said,scanning the General up and down.

Marcus nearly choked on air from the presumptuous remark as a smile grew across his face and his cheeks turned red. "I-I'm sorry," he said as a quick chuckle escaped him. "I don't mean to laugh at the idea of marrying your daughter, but it is funny that you would think that of me."

"Why is that funny?" Yeshua asked in all seriousness.

"I'm a happily married man," Marcus answered. "My wife, Caecilia, is expecting, too. Why I offer my aid to your daughter is because Meiri shows a potential that one rarely sees. I feel it would be a missed opportunity to not be a part of her reaching her potential, don't you agree?"