Chapter 4

Finn sat on the ground of Harlan's office for a while, just staring off into space. Ransom had gone to his home a while ago and the others in the house had gone to bed. She slowly got off the ground, mindful of a possible broken rib. She slowly made her way up to her room and into the attached shower. She carefully stripped her clothes off and turned on the shower. She sat under the stream, long after it had gone cold. She crawled into bed shivering, not only from the cold.

The next morning she woke with a fright, having had a bad dream. She attempted to get out of bed, but was met with extreme pain from her ribs. She pushed through it and managed to get to the medicine cabinet. She downed some pain pills and snuck a peek at herself in the mirror. She had a large bruise on her cheek from Ransom's slap and punch. Her neck had slight bruising. She lifted up her shirt a touch and caught a glance of dark purple. She let out a deep sigh. It had been a long time since Ransom had had his hands on her. She started with the routine she was used to. First prime the skin. You need to use green concealer to cover up purple bruises. On top of that is a coat of powder. Next, a coat of foundation and finally another coat of powder. There's not much you can do about the swelling, but Finn has found that people don't care enough to ask.

She dressed quickly in a large sweater and a pair of jeans and, of course, her golden locket. She descended the steps quietly, not wanting to draw attention to herself. She found that that wasn't going to happen when Detective Blanc called out to her.

"Finn." Benoit called.

Finn snapped her head towards him. Detective Blanc was flanked by Lieutenant Elliot and Trooper Wagner. Marta also happened to be with them, which confused Finn. Finn made her way over to them and looked up to Benoit.

"Yes, Detective?" Finn asked.

"We're goin' to have a walk 'round the property. Would you join us?" Benoit asked.

"Umm..." Finn drawled out.

She snuck a peak behind her. Ransom was no where to be seen. She surmised that he must not be here.

"Sure." Finn finished. 

"Wonderful." Benoit smiled at her.

They then set off to the surveillance station. Finn easily fell into conversation with Marta. They both loved Harlan and grew close because of how much time they spent together with him. A lot of people had their suspicions about Marta, but Finn knew the truth. Blanc noticed how easy Finn felt around Marta. He knew Marta had something to do with the killing because of the evidence on her shoes. However, he also knew that Finn most likely knew who the killer was and she seemed too easy around Marta for her to be the killer.

Eventually Benoit and Finn fell into step together, neither of them talking to each other. Benoit snuck a glance at Finn's face. He has seen many people trying to cover up bruises, he knows what it looks like. He felt sadness for her, she didn't deserve to be hit.

"Finn, might I borrow you for a moment?" Benoit asked.

Finn simply nodded at him. They both broke away from the group and walked off to the side.

"Do you need something Detective?" Finn asked.

Benoit didn't speak for a moment, just searching Finns face. He noted how she stood, arm held loosely around one side. 

"He hurt you?" Benoit questioned.

"What? I don't- what are you talking about?" Finn sputtered.

"He hurt you. Your eye is swollen, your voice is a bit hoarse, you're protecting your bad side." Benoit stated.

"You don't know what you're talking about Detective Blanc." Finn said angrily.

Finn started to turn away, but a light grasp on her arm stopped her. Finn flinched slightly and Benoit let go. Finn looked to the ground, embarrassed at her reaction.

"I'm sorry. I wouldn't hurt you. I just want to help, that's all." Benoit said genuinely.

"You can't help me." Finn choked out, a few tears falling down her face.

Benoit held out his arms.

"May I?" He asked.

Finn just nodded. Benoit gently wrapped his arms around her. He was much taller and larger than she was. She felt safe in his arms. A feeling she hasn't felt for a very long time. They embraced for a long moment, before parting.

"Thank you." Finn said quietly.

"I imagine this has been happening to you for a long time." Benoit stated.

Finn just nodded at this.

"You have my card. If you need help, call me, ya hear?" Benoit said urgently.

Finn once again nodded. They got back on the trail and caught up with the others. Finn felt less lonely standing next to Benoit.