Chapter 3

Luna

"Coffee with cream."

Maybe I should have said something else. I hear people ordering Latte all the time and I bet it tastes wonderful, but I still went with the safe choice.

"Anything else?" Sam drawls smirking at me.

I give a small shake and look down at the counter.

As Sam turns to make my coffee, I study his newspaper on top of the counter. It is opened on a crossword puzzle. Out of habit and curiosity, I quickly scan the puzzle. He has only just started it and answer after the answer pops in my head.

I startle when Sam puts the cup on the counter and I take a small step back. Taking out the money from my pocket I slide it across the counter taking my cup.

"Thank you for the coffee and keep the change." I turn around, but his voice stops me.

"Wait. Stay... Please." It isn't the words that get my attention, but the way he says them. Softly and quietly.

I look over my shoulder at Sam, whose eyes plead with me to stay.

"Fifteen, Bastille. I'll see you tomorrow, Sam." I smile faintly and I see a small smile creeping up his face.

Turning, I exit the shop and head straight home. I need to find the outfit I could wear tomorrow.

***

My hand trembles a bit as I step up to the counter.

"It's nice to see you, Luna," Sam greets me, handing a coffee cup to the already waiting customer.

"Hey." I smile shyly and look at the board behind him.

"What can I get you?"

"I... um..." I bite my lip and avert my gaze. "Coffee with cream."

"Okay," Sam drawls. "Choose a table. I'll come by soon enough." He pushes a new crossword puzzle across the counter with two pens and winks at me. Taking the paper, I sit at the table closest to where Sam stands in case he must serve some client.

I take off my coat hanging it on the back of the chair and adjust my dark red pencil skirt and baggy white sweater which hides my extra pounds.

Scanning the page words jump in my mind, so I scribble a few of them in, only to halt afterward.

What have I done? What if he didn't want me to start it? I release the pen and slowly draw my shaking hands in my lap. I sit there waiting for Sam to come and berate me for starting without permission.

A moment later a cup is set in front of me and to my surprise, Sam sits down next to me.

"Here you go. Oh, wow. You're good at this," he says, scooting closer. "Can I?"

I take a small sip of my coffee and watch as he fills in two more words, then taps on the number seven.

"Vertigo," I murmur and Sam hums in agreement, filling the blanks.

For the next thirty minutes, we fill in word after word until we have gotten them all. As I raise my gaze to Sam, he's already looking at me with a warm smile. He lifts his hand, tucking strands of my hair behind my ear.

"This was fun," he whispers as his fingers graze down my cheek. "Will you come tomorrow again?"

I give him a nod and his contagious smile spread. Involuntary, my lips curl in an answering one as I look away.

"I'll wait for you." He stands up letting me do the same and takes my coat helping me to put it on.

"Thank you."

"It's nothing. I'll see you then."

At the door, a thought crosses my mind and I stop in my tracks.

"I didn't pay for the coffee," I say turning.

"It's on me." He winks getting back behind the counter. As I walk out of the coffee shop, I peer at the working hours committing them to my memory and with that same silly smile head home. This turned out to be a wonderful day.