Chapter 4

Sam

Once again I look at the clock, it's almost closing time and Luna was a no show.

I should have asked for her number, but I was afraid to come on too strong. I could see she wasn't like any other girl.

Looking at the crossword puzzle under the counter, I sigh. Maybe something urgent came up. She'll probably come tomorrow. Or maybe I scared her away. I count the money in the cash register one last time and take off my apron.

As I walk around the counter, bell jingle above door and Luna walks in with a faint smile adorning her red lips.

"Hi, Sam."

"Hey, I thought..." I trail off shaking my head. "You know what, never mind. I'm glad you're here." I stop just a few steps away from her. God, I want to touch her, to hold her, kiss her. But not yet. I have to be patient.

"I thought we could go to the diner a few blocks down when your work ends. So customers wouldn't interrupt us," Luna explains in a soft voice, smiling shyly.

"Or, I can close up and we can stay here," I offer.

"Can we? Wouldn't the owner object?"

"I'm the owner, sweetheart, and I don't mind. That's if you're okay with it." I shrug acting as nonchalantly as possible but on the inside, I send silent prayers to God, that she agrees.

"It's okay with me." She smiles and unbuttons her coat.

I take it from her and hang it over the back of the chair taking it out for her. She's dressed in baggy jeans and an over-sized hoodie, but I see that underneath she's petite.

"Do you want anything to drink? It might be too late for coffee, but I can make it for you if you want. I have some caffeine-free options too or some tea," I offer.

Her eyes dart to the chalkboard and she opens her mouth once, twice but nothing comes out. She shakes her head and averting her eyes murmur. "Coffee with cream."

That's the moment understanding strikes me, she's playing it safe. She wants something, but for some reason doesn't ask for it.

Taking a step closer to her, I crouch in front of her so she's a bit higher than me.

"Luna, would you like to order something else?"

In response, she shrugs one shoulder as pink tint colors in her cheeks.

"Can I make a drink for you? It would be a surprise."

"I like surprises." Her grey eyes shine with excitement.

"Okay, you can start on the puzzle while I'll make something for us. But only with one condition. If you don't like it, tell me, so I know what not to make next time. Okay?"

She gives a small smile as even more pink creeps up her face. She's the most precious being I have ever met. And it doesn't matter how long it will take, but I'm going after her heart. I'm not giving her up without a fight.