Chapter 3

Me and Laura arrived at the shopping centre and i guided her inside. After shopping for a couple hours we stopped for a bite to eat. "So loz, i need to talk to you about New York." I said and her expression immediately dropped, she looked concerned about what i was going to say.

"What about it?" - "I'm coming with you." - "WHAT?! did you get the place or something?" - "No. I thought about and well, you are my everything, without you i don't know what i would do. I know logistically it's tricky, but i don't care i'm going to make it work."

I saw her brain working overtime trying to process it. Her eyes scanned my face as she contemplated her answer. "No. No y/n i can't let you do that, i can't let you risk everything for me. To come to New York you wouldn't have anywhere to stay, you wouldn't have a job, you wouldn't know anyone."

"I'll find a couch to crash, i could find a minimum wage job or something until i could do better and come on you know me, i'll get myself out and about and meet people. Laura at the end of the day what you say doesn't matter, i've mind my mind up and i'm coming with you. I can't imagine my life without my best friend." I said assuringly hoping i could convince her, despite the fact i wasn't completely convinced myself.

"I guess i will have a couch you could crash" She said as a small smirk emerged on the corner of her mouth, and i subconsciously returned the action. "You're actually the best." I exclaimed as we got up and carried on with our shopping trip.

3 Weeks Later ----

The last few weeks have been hectic to say the least. Me and Laura had been sorting everything out getting ready to head to New York - I had managed to find a job at a burger place, with the help of Laura's internship we had managed to find a 2 bed apartment for a lot cheaper than normal in the Big Apple. Today was the day, we were officially leaving to New York for the rest of our lives. Chris had decided to hold a little farewell party with our closest friends, as our flight wasn't until 2am. "Excuse me everyone.. yes thank you. So as you all know we are here today to say farewell to our good friends y/n and Laura. While we've only known them for 4 years, it doesn't take long to realise that both are incredible people with warm hearts. I do genuinely wish you both the best of luck and New York and... To y/n and Laura!" He exclaimed as he raised a toast to us both.

"Thank you man, that was awesome." i said to Chris as he finished his little speech. "No problem. I'm gonna miss you." - "We still gonna talk, but yeah imma miss you too." and with that we hugged and i toasted my apple juice - i still had to drive later -  to his champagne and we spent the rest of the day enjoying the rest of our company together.

We spent the time on the way to Heathrow discussing all the things we were going to do once we were in New York, all the people we hoped to meet and all the rest. For the both of us this was a fresh new start that we both so desperately needed - the last 2 years had been hell for the both of us, and at the end of it we only had each other. In the last 18 months Laura's mother had passed from liver cancer and her brother and father were killed in a tragic double homicide - the killer was never found. She was, as you can imagine, distraught and basically locked inside her room for 3 months sobbing. I tried my hardest to be the person she needed me to be, but i just couldn't hack it. About 6 weeks after the death of Laura's brother and father my mother passed away in her sleep - as a result of her end stage dementia - and as an only child who's father was no longer with us, it hit me hard. Me and Laura needed a fresh start, and New York seemed like the perfect opportunity.

The flight was relatively uneventful - we both slept for the majority of the trip. I woke up about 90 minutes before the end of the flight with laura asleep on my shoulder as i blissfully watched out of the window - happy for the first time in forever.