• 𝕔𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝕗𝕠𝕦𝕣 •

Now I was, unwillingly, on my way to visit Desmond, my brother, who was now in shock. I did not know whether to be sad being that he is my brother, but I did not feel anything. To me it was just some random man that murdered my boyfriend's sister. It seems harsh but that's how I felt about the situation. However I did not dare say that to everyone else. Rebecca and Shaun were clearly affected by Desmond being in shock, and I respected that.

We were on our way to New York City, where Desmond is currently in a coma. Aunt Gina had our seats far away from the Mentor. Clearly she did not like him and I couldn't blame her. He just reeked of asshole energy as well as being a wise ass, which I didn't appreciate at all. Who wants a Mentor like that?

Aunt Gina was practically quiet the whole plane ride, a ride that was more than 24 hours. She would ask if I needed anything or if I was feeling okay and I would always answer fine. She looked the complete opposite of fine though. She had a worried look on her face and was always in thought.

"Aunt Gina ... are you okay?" She looked over and weakly smiled.

"Yeah, I'm alright."

"What are you thinking about?"

"I'm worried Liz. Worried what the Mentor will ask of you to do. If Desmond is in a coma, they're just going to use you and who knows, you'll be in a coma too!" I stood quiet. She was right, but this is what it seems I was born to do. I wanted to ask her about the relationship between her and the Mentor, but I was itching to learn something else.

"How come I didn't know about Desmond? ... Why was he kept a secret?" Aunt Gina refused to look at me. She kept her eyes on the cumulus clouds outside the plane's window.

"Desmond ran away from home when he was 16 years old. He didn't want to be an Assassin, just wanted to live a normal life. You were only seven-"

"I was five when my parents died. I remember that like nothing. But I don't remember anything about Desmond? Actually no I can't remember anything about Desmond."

"I know Liz. I made sure of that before I left to ... before I left."

We left it as that. Asking more questions would just lead to me wanting more questions. Was I injected with some sort serum to make me forget? Where did Aunt Gina leave to? It couldn't have been for Desmond, so for what? These questions haunted my brain for the rest of the flight.

~~~~~

"Put him back in the machine. It's the only way to fix this." the Mentor ordered.

"But the Animus did this to him!" The young doctor shouted.

"Am I the expert or not? Do it!"

The doctor hesitated before attaching some wires to Desmond's head and putting his arm through what looked like a blood pressure machine. That's when Desmond's vitals started to stabilize.

"I shut down the Animus Monitoring System to free up some memory, but even then this is risky. The Animus was built to recreate memories, not simulate entire cognitive processes." Rebecca said, tapping on some buttons.

"The Animus will do its part, and Desmond will do the rest." the Mentor said. He had a serious look on his face, but his eyes were somber. Who was Desmond to him?

"What's the rest? What does he need to do?" I asked.

"Find unfinished memories from his ancestor until there's nothing left to be shown to him. Maybe more, but even I do not know that."

"Can he hear us?"

"Not all the time. Here and there, definitely." Rebecca answered.

Everyone was quiet, just staring at Desmond's body. He looked practically lifeless. I tried hard to remember his face but I just couldn't. But looking at him gave me an idea, an idea that would need Rebecca's help.

"The most we could do is check up on Desmond every day and hope he is doing what is needed. It is late and we all need some rest. Upstairs are your rooms." the Mentor said.

Aunt Gina scoffed and went on her way. I, of course, followed. We still haven't talked since our conversation on the plane and I didn't want to bring it up again. It will end in an argument and words will be said that shouldn't be said. She entered one room, and I stood outside the room next to hers. When I saw Rebecca go into her room, I followed right behind her.

"Rebecca. I know this is a tough time and all, but I was thinking about what you said about the Animus being used to recreate memories and I wanted to know: can you recreate memories you can't remember?" She turned around with a smirk.

"Of course. See that's what's great about the Animus. It reads genetic memory and projects the output onto an external screen in three dimensions. So just using your DNA, we can get just about everything about you ... Why do you ask Liz?"

"I am trying to remember Desmond. I was seven when he ran away, so naturally I should remember something --"

"What? Shaun and I just thought you didn't know him by his real name or know you two were related. But not actually remember him." I just nodded. I didn't know whether to tell her that I believed that Aunt Gina was responsible for that. If they assumed I had some memory of him, that means Aunt Gina purposely did something to me. But why? Why make me forget about my brother?

"Have you asked your aunt about this?"

"She's the reason why I'm here asking you this. Her answers led to more questions and I refuse to be lied to. Please Rebecca ... I know we don't really know each other but doing this will solve a bit of the holes in my life."

She looked at me with concerned eyes.

"You're Desmond's little sis, of course I'll help you. Meet me in my room tomorrow night, same time. We have to do this when everyone is sleep."

~~~~~

It was tomorrow night. I said good-night to my aunt and went into my room. I got dressed in more comfortable clothes, a tee and leggings, and waited for Rebecca's text. When she sent me the okay, I tip-toed out my room and lightly knocked on her door. She opened it, a toothy smile plastered on her face.

"You seem excited."

"Well of course I am! Testing Desmond's vitals is not what I joined the Assassins for. I love to code man. That's my passion. Now let's find out your past."

We went downstairs to the Animus room, where Desmond was, who was still looking lifeless, but breathing and thankfully stable. I stared at Desmond, wanting to feel even some type of remorse for him, but I just couldn't. If he ran away at 16 because he didn't want to be an Assassin, he probably wouldn't be in this situation. I didn't want to be an Assassin, and I got freaking kidnapped! That's what they had to do him.

"Rebecca ... Aunt Gina said that Desmond ran away at 16. Who got him back to the Order?"

She stopped what she was doing and stared at the floor. "Lucy did. She got him back ... Uh, so just hop right in! Put your arm through this and be sure to position your head between these two scanners on the headrest. I am not gonna tell you when, but I have to put a catheter through your arm. This is gonna link you to the Animus and help access genetic memories."

"A catheter? I don't eve-- OW!"

"Told you." She said smirking. "You don't even what now?"

I rolled my eyes. "I was gonna say I didn't remember seeing a catheter hooked up to Desmond but I see why."

The catheter is covered by the arm pressure looking cover which is why I didn't see it. Rebecca turned on the Animus and the cover started to glow. 

I took a deep breath, closed my eyes, and allowed the Animus to get to work.

आप प्रकाशित भागों के अंत तक पहुँच चुके हैं।

⏰ पिछला अद्यतन: Oct 02, 2020 ⏰

नए भागों की सूचना पाने के लिए इस कहानी को अपनी लाइब्रेरी में जोड़ें!

Revelations (Sequel to I'm In Love With My Kidnapper)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें