Chapter Twenty-Two

My heart almost stopped. I wanted to grab the dashboard, the roof, anything, but nothing could save me. I was going to die. Noah was going to die. We were going to plunge into the river and we were going to die.

I closed my eyes and tried to prepare myself for the crash, the crunch of metal, the water rushing in as we fell into the river, but it didn't come. My stomach dropped. I opened my eyes.

We were flying.

The Edison was gliding through the air, all on its own. No wings, no jet propulsion engine, no rhyme or reason at all. I looked at Noah to find him already looking at me. His eyebrows were so high they almost disappeared into that errant piece of hair. He was waiting for me to react, but I didn't know how.

"What the f-fuck," I stuttered. "What is happening? How is this happening? How—"

He touched a finger to my mouth. It felt like calm radiated from the spot where his finger touched my lips, like he had a magic touch.

Magic.

Was this magic? The car flew with no noise of an engine at all. It soared through the air with no resistance.

The Edison dipped low, until the bottoms of the tires touched the white crests of rapids on the Cheakamus. That I could feel—it felt like we were a stone skipping along the water. I started laughing.

"What the fuck!" I cried. "What in the absolute fuck!"

Noah grinned. "Right?"

When I decided to stop caring about the sheer surreality of it all, everything became insanely beautiful. The moon was overhead, peeking out from the cloud cover to light up the mountainsides. The Edison rose up so we could see the whole valley. The river glittered in the moonlight like a silver snake far below us. A few pairs of headlights snaked along the highway below.

"Oh, guess I'd better—Simone, engage incognito mode," Noah said.

"Incognito mode engaged."

"Now we're invisible," he said.

"You say that like it's nothing."

He shrugged and leaned back in his seat. He looked devastatingly gorgeous in the moon's soft white light, smiling impishly.

"You're infuriating," I said. I meant how mysterious and beautiful and sexually frustrating he was, but it reminded me of something else. "You didn't even warn me! You just drove off the fucking cliff!"

"You wouldn't have believed me."

"You could've at least warned me before you drove off the fucking cliff. My heart is still racing."

I touched my throat to feel my pulse, and it reminded me of the recording of Noah's heartbeat that was still on my phone. My heart was stuttering just as fast as that. When I had my microphone pressed to Noah's throat, his body reacted like he was plunging off a cliff.

We were flying over Squamish, now. It was a small town, but its lights still glowed up and down the whole valley. The Chief, a vast granite rock face that dominated the valley, was a hulking mass in the dark. My heart calmed down, a little. The deep violet at the horizon and the orange of streetlights far below put a spell on me.

My seat dipped me slowly backward and the roof of the car flickered into transparency. The whole sky was covered in stars, like freckles. The breath caught in my throat.

Noah curled an arm around me and cuddled in without saying a word. The console had disappeared, our seats shifted together to form a nest-like space just big enough for our two bodies. I held his hand where it rested on my chest.