Chapter 11: Burn (Part 2)

"Why are we here?" Hari pressed Simba, looking around the market square that bustled around him

"Why are we here?" Hari pressed Simba, looking around the market square that bustled around him. The red eye insignias plastered in every shop window glared through the passing market-goers directly at him, causing a shiver to race down his spine."Shouldn't we be out of the city by now?"

"First, put this on," Simba said, handing Hari a matching hood to wear over his head. "I bought this to hide a princess, but you'll have to fit her place for now."

Hari cloaked the hood over his shoulders, tying the tassels in the front with a raised eyebrow. "Hardly seems like a disguise at all."

"Exactly," Simba prodded, carefully rearranging the hood to hide as much of Hari's face as possible. "As you said before; this city is a stranger. Nobody recognizes our faces here. We are nobody, just like everyone else. We can blend in long enough to get supplies for the long trip to Humilis."

"Humilis?"

"It's a forgotten coal town," Simba elaborated. "My father's scouts only survey major trading routes around the Inner City. Humilis is far past any scout postings, so it'll be easier to gain as much distance from my father so we recover your memories. However, it's too far to travel without supplies. Even a horse wouldn't last more than a few days."

Simba held out his hand to Hari, revealing 15 gold coins and a list of items on paper which Hari hesitantly accepted

"To make our preparations faster, we are going to split up throughout the market to find all the items we need," Simba elaborated. "Meet me back in this main market square when the stage is set up for the Cleansing, which should be when the sun hits one third of its way across the sky. If we are lucky, we will leave before the ceremony starts. Keep your head down- I literally cannot afford to lose you."

Hari's eyes suddenly grew wide, looking around at the bustling market around him.

"You're going to leave me alone?" he panicked, slipping into a whisper while watching a white hood slice through the crowd like a knife through soft butter. "What if the Watch finds me?"

Simba's eyes followed the white hood passing by them as Hari shrunk away sheepishly, frantically repositioning his hood to block his face from the watching eye. Taking Hari's shoulders in his hands, Simba pushed his body upwards to stand tall. How could Hari look so guilty without even trying?

"They will if you keep acting like that," Simba hissed, watching the white hood fade back into the market before letting out a sigh of relief.

"The Watch are instructed to act on reports of suspicious activity," Simba explained, fussing over Hari's hood that fell out of place again. "As long as you blend in, they won't bother you, okay?"

Hari remembered the eye that loomed over him yesterday, yet moved on with as little as a warning. "O-okay," he stammered, pulling his shoulders backwards to let himself stand taller.