Chapter 14: Mercy (Part 2)

"Sir, the guards have been on duty for two whole days since the announcement of the Prince's affliction, and the boys have not been found at the gates or anywhere in the city

"Sir, the guards have been on duty for two whole days since the announcement of the Prince's affliction, and the boys have not been found at the gates or anywhere in the city. No citizens have seen anything and there are non reports of activity."

The guard in metal armor stood before Kasim and Davu who retained their normal arrangement around the marbled throne. The night was dawning now, so the bar of shadows cast from the walls around them were lain dark and heavy across the throne room, red skies painting the windows in a dirty backdrop. The Crimson light crawled over the throne and the Adofo Royals as they waited to bring their response to the disheartening news.

"How could Simba escape?" Kasim finally said, suppressing his relief that he wouldn't be burning his son at the stake. He may be cursed, but he didn't want his son to be cleansed. Davu stood bathed in light of the sky, looking down with a cold set of eyes.

"We do not know," the guard admitted. "We have been with the inner circle members at each gate as the Watch monitor the streets, and the people have been reporting suspicious individuals left and right that match their descriptions. None have proven to be the wanted pair, and no holes in the wall have been reported to our understanding. They may have gotten out before the inner circle arrived at the gates."

"The boy is clever," Davu recited in a cold tone. "You are dismissed. Deliver instructions to the three gates to dismantle security at once. We will have further instructions delivered shortly."

The guard gave a compliant bow before descending the stairs to deliver the news of the King, the doors heaving closed on his exit at the end of the river of red on the floor.

Davu floated across the marble to face Kasim who sunk slowly from his dignified position to put his elbows on his knees, face in his hands, and released a great heave.

"My son... getting the boy out with him in such little time..." Kasim shook his head, genuinely surprised Simba was able to manage such a herculean task. "I may have taught him too well."

Davu looked down on his son. The tall shadow was bathed red in the sea of the room that poured in through the surrounding windows. Despite the paint of inferno, Davu's glare cut an icy wound.

"How well do you know the remaining members of the inner circle?" Davu said in a low tone. Kasim looked up at his remark, unsure what to make of it.

"They have been with me since the beginning of the realm, since I became King. They would not cross me or the plans we have set out."

Davu looked over him, a skeletal figure against the dark bleeding of the room.

"Perhaps they have stolen your trust, but they have not channeled mine. You appointed them after all. Your trust was always easily granted, wasn't it? and now it led us astray."

Davu then faced away from Kasim towards the drop of the stairs, staring up to the arched ceilings that clawed upwards above them.

"Your boy may be fast and clever, but aren't we as well? Simba's escape was a herculean task under our pressure. He couldn't have possibly done so without some help. Isn't it just as likely one of the guards manipulated your trust and let him through?"