Mel and Tommy

Dec had heard enough. He didn't want to hear how valiant the NYR was, or how they were Atunda's only hope of surviving the invasion of the North. He didn't want to know how deep his best friend was sinking in NYR promises, or how little Lazar cared for Tommy's well-being.

He just needed to leave.

Turning and walking away, he let Lazar's words fade to the howl of wind through the hollowed out carcasses on the dried up river flat and the sound of his footsteps striking the earth with exaggerated force. His headache pounded and by the time he'd entered the eerie silence of the port and approached the shipping container with Tommy and Mel inside, he was not in the mood to be stopped with the outstretched hand of the medic again.

"You can't go in there."

Dec shoved him square in the chest and thrust the door open with his shoulder.

"Hey!"

Ignoring the medic's protests, he slammed the door shut and slid the lock into place behind him.

Mel sprung to her feet at Dec's sudden arrival, and her hands moved to flatten her hair, which had come loose from its ponytail and settled into feathery waves about her face. She kept her eyes down as she said, "Dec?" her tone imploring, rising slightly at the end as though asking a question.

Tommy lay on the stretcher at her feet, his right eye swollen shut, a bandage wrapped around his head like a towel. Dec glared. Now that he knew Tommy had fought so hard in the ring to win favour with the NYR, he found it hard to have sympathy for the idiocy of his friend. He pushed aside his annoyance and said, "Are you okay?"

"Mmm," Tommy said, refusing to look at Dec with his good eye. "Fine. Just a bit of bruising."

Dec frowned. Tommy certainly didn't look fine. And he thought it was strange how Tommy was refusing to look him in the eye. Was he still pissed off at him for their argument at the club? Was he still awkward about the incident with Adele?

Dec's annoyance flared. "Well, have you got someone to look after you tonight? You probably shouldn't drive home alone."

"Mel said she'd drive me," Tommy said, dipping his head in Mel's direction.

"But you don't have a car," he said to Mel. "And anyway, who's going to help me with Mum?"

"Tommy said I can drive his. And you'll be fine with mum," she said. "She's probably just sleeping."

Dec scowled. Mel's indifference was unusual. She was always the one berating him for being too slack. He didn't know why he was making up reasons to keep Mel from staying. He didn't really need help with Adele.

"Well, I guess I'll see you at home," he said, hearing his own, dull, dispassionate tone echo in the small space.

Mel nodded dismissively. "Call me if you need backup."