Chapter 3 - Dead Man's party

We had walked back into the institute with Clary infant of us  "I still don't understand. How can Shadowhunters be better than... than what you people call mundanes?" She whined. 

"Because we protect humans." Izzy told her. 

Clary turned to look at her  "You're right. Humans. You protect humans. You left Simon all alone in the van. Great job, guys. You rock." She said and I slightly glare at the redhead while tightening my hold on Alecs hand. 

"There is some truth to the idea that human beings should have a modicum of common sense." Alec told the girl. 

Izzy looked at Alec "Alec, not now." she told him sharply and I turned my head to her with a slight glare.

"He's right." I told her. Im usually not a mean person but when it comes to protecting or defending Alec I can be. 

Jace sighed "Look, they won't do anything to Simon. They just wanted to draw you out. They want the Cup, and they think you have it."

Clary looks at him with annoyance "But why do they think that? Why does anyone think that? What, my mom lies to me my entire life except, "Oh, by the way, there's this magic cup, I hid on, like the planet Bongo, but don't tell anyone". What am I supposed to do now?" She asks with a huff. 

Alec walked closer to the Ops Centre saying "We have to report to the Clave."

Jace sighed "Great."

"They have to know we've learned about Valentine." He added and I completely agreed. 

Clary sighed and stopped us at the threshold of the Ops centre "What, that he's my father? Great. Fine. Tell them. What good does that do Simon?" 

I rolled my eyes and looked at her  "Clary, it's all connected. The vamps want the Cup." I told her softly not wanting to be mean. 

"Why? It makes new Shadowhunters." She asked us confused. 

Alec nodded "Nobody wants Valentine forming an army loyal to himself." He says as he pulls me closer to him and slips his arm around my waist. 

"Plus, it controls demons." Izzy added.

Jace nods "They'll propose a trade. Simon for the Cup."

Clary learned against a pillar "So, vampires will trade Simon for the Cup and Valentine will trade my mother for the Cup. Either way, I lose someone I love. What if I just toss it up in the air and let them fight it out among themselves?" She says absentmindedly. 

"So, this doesn't matter to you?" Alec asks her annoyed. 

"Yes, of course, it matters! Listen... when you saved my life... I put my trust in you. Now, I need you to put your trust in me. I can't turn into what you are overnight." She all but yells at him.