Chapter 8: Family Friendly Bonding

"A week until my birthday, and a week until you get to go home. Lucky you." Harry grumbled. He and Draco had the house to themselves again, so Harry was busy cooking some late breakfast while Draco tried to sit at the table. Apparently he felt the need to be dignified, even as a ferret. Harry turned around and snickered at the sight of him clinging to the tablecloth as he attempted to scale it.

"Need some hewp, wittle fewwet?" He cooed, a grin on his face. Draco's glare didn't affect him at all, it only made him look cuter if he was honest. Harry paused at his thoughts but shook it off and continued putting strips of bacon on a plate. His life was strange, he was feeding his schoolyard rival (who was a ferret) while he was at the Dursleys' for the summer. Only he could have a life as interesting as this.

The rest of the morning was relatively quiet. Harry was excited about the newly installed dishwasher, something Draco was utterly clueless about. The dark haired boy patiently taught him how to use it, however, so by the time the dishes were done he was a little bit more educated on muggle appliances.

Draco helped Harry put the washing out on the line, by giving him a peg everytime he needed one, then the two went inside to start ironing and folding the already dried clothes. Once those were done they were taken upstairs and sorted. Then the cleaning started, that took the longest but neither of them minded.

When they got onto doing the garden, Draco helped pull out weeds and dig holes for new flowers. He was covered in dirt, it was the messiest he'd ever been. He surprised himself by not caring, once upon a time he'd have complained nonstop about getting dirty. Harry smiled at him when the ferret started rolling in the dirt but protested when he started smearing it on his clothes. Draco chittered (ferret laugh) and climbed onto his shoulders, leaving footprints up one side of his clothes.

Half an hour later they went inside to clean themselves up. Harry filled the bathroom sink with mildly hot, soapy water so Draco could have a small bath while he showered.

-

Sirius paced the length of his bedroom. He was anxious to bring Harry there. It was safer for him at Grimmauld Place than it was at the Dursleys, it was unplottable and under fidelius. How much safer could it get? Not to mention that dementors had somehow found their way to Little Whinging. Sirius had no doubt that it was the ministry's doing.

He'd been filled in on the situation with Malfoy, so he knew that his cousin was staying with his godson as well. Sirius hoped that once Cissy picked up her son, then Harry would be allowed to stay with him (Sirius) in his childhood home. Oh how he hated this house. Too many bad memories. He'd yet to clean out Regulus's room, he couldn't bring himself to go through his brother's stuff, but he'd have to get around to it soon. The house was better use as a safehouse than abandoned, so Sirius had volunteered it as exactly that, meaning all the dust and nasty inhabitants had to be disposed of.

His only consolation was that Remus was there now, he'd been staying with him for a bit. They'd all caught up on the decade he'd missed in Azkaban, they'd talked about Harry, they talked about everything. It felt good having Remus to confide in again. Like the old days.

Sirius stopped his pacing and sighed, rubbing his eyes in frustration. Why couldn't things go the way he wanted them to? He just wanted to have Harry near him, not in danger of dementors or Voldemort or the Dursleys or anyone! Dumbledore claimed that Harry was treated 'like the Saviour he was'. But when his relatives were brought up, Harry seemed to think the same of them as Sirius had thought of his own relatives. That was a red flag if Sirius ever saw one.

He decided to go downstairs to have some lunch, opting to not think about how things were going. He passed Hermione on her way to the Black library, high fived Ron who was trying to catch up to her and almost ran into the twins who apparated into the hallway.

"Seems you've got the hang of it, just try to be more spacially aware when you get there." Sirius joked, winking at the two redheads. They were interesting, those two. The second generation of marauders and they were living up to it. Apparently they were planning to put up shop in Diagon with the funds that Harry gave them at the end of the tournament. He'd have to ask for some products to test out once they had passed the trial stage and were official.

Remus looked up and smiled when Sirius walked into the kitchen. "Tea?" He asked. Sirius smiled back and nodded gratefully.
"Yeah, thanks. I've just been thinking about how I can get Harry to live here with us, so that he can get away from those muggles." He admitted, taking the tea cup that Remus offered him.

The werewolf frowned. "Yes... Harry's relatives are a bit of a problem and it would be safer here. The only thing keeping him there are the bloodwards. They deny those who wish him harm." Sirius rolled his eyes.
"Yes I know, I know. I just worry that its his relatives that are harming him, which renders the blood wards useless! Harry thinks the same of his family as I do of mine. And... You know what happened to me..." He trailed off and Remus gave him a sympathetic look. He knew a lot about Sirius' home life and was worried too.

"I'm worried too Sirius, and I want him here just as much. It's only Voldemort we have to be careful of. But we just have to wait, he'll be coming here soon enough." He said, putting a comforting hand on top of Sirius'. Sirius adjusted it so their hands were intertwined and smiled. "It's better with you here Moony."

Posted: 17th of April 2020
Sorry for the massive gap between posts, I can't help it. With lock down/quarantine going on, my procrastination levels are through the roof. I'd be doomed in terms of school work if it weren't for my mum.
Also wolfstar °v°