Bikes and Books

Connie padded across the sand, face buried her newly-purchased book, Alchemist Foul. Rapidly immersed in its fantastical story, she wasn't watching where she was going and was suddenly knocked to the ground.

        Gasping, she sat up, shaking the sand out of her book, and stared up at the culprit. A teenage boy, around her age, straddling a shiny bicycle with an electric-blue finish. He promptly jumped off, unceremoniously dumping it on the ground, and slipped off his red helmet, holding out a hand. "I'm so sorry! I wasn't watching where I was going! Are you okay?"

        Hesitantly, she took his hand and pulled herself to her feet. "Yeah. . . I'm okay." She eyed the bike lying in the sand behind him. ". . . You were riding in the sand?"

        He gave a nervous laugh. "Well , it's good exercise, right?"

        "I guess so. . ." She brushed her shorts down, a little miffed. The boy seemed to catch onto the gesture and his face fell.

        "Look, I'm so sorry. I really didn't mean to crash into you. I'll. . . I can, y'know. . . buy you an ice cream or something. To make up for it."

        She shook her head. "No, it's okay."

        "You don't like ice cream?" he cried, scandalised.

        "No, I do, it's just— my dad's really strict about my sugar intake."

        "Oh." The boy scratched his head. "Wow. Mine's the complete opposite, actually. He's always offering to buy me sweet stuff." Giving a nervous smile, he again held out his hand. "My name's Steven."

        She could feel herself warming up to his friendly demeanour and shook the proffered hand, smiling. "I'm Connie."

        When she let go he retrieved his hand, rubbing his neck awkwardly. "Uh, I'm sorry again for crashing into you."

        "It's fine! I wasn't watching where I was going either. I just couldn't put my new book down."

        "Oh, yeah?" he seemed to perk up a little. "Whatcha reading?"

        "It's called Alchemist Foul," she replied, holding it out. "It's about this alchemist fighting a bunch of magical creatures from below the Earth's surface."

        "Wow, that sounds great," Steven smiled. "I'll have to give it a read sometime."

        "I can let you borrow it," Connie blurted before she could stop herself, more out of politeness than anything else.

        The boy flashed her a dazzling smile and she felt her cheeks burn. "Thanks, Connie, that's really nice of you." Flushing, she let her eyes drop down to study her book, thoughts ticking over.

        "Oh!—That's right, I'm sorry, I was actually going into town." Tucking the book under her arm, lest she repeat her mistake, she took a few quick steps forward. "It was nice meeting you, Steven."

        He stared at her for a moment, seeming hesitant before speaking again. "Actually. . . do you think you could. . . help me out with something?"

        "Yeah?"

        "Well. . . my family just moved here, and I don't know my way around yet. I just thought, if you were already going into town. . . it wouldn't be too much trouble if I just tagged along, right?"

        He seemed so cautiously determined, so quietly hopeful that she smiled. "Yeah, of course. I can show you around."

        "Oh, great!" He hurriedly fell into step beside her, flashing her a friendly grin. "So, is that house back there yours?"