Book Club

It was 9am on a Friday morning. Connie was bored and lonely.

        She sighed, gazing up at the colourful spines lining her new bookshelf, sprawled supine on the couch. She'd been itching to re-read the Spirit Morph Saga but it somehow felt wrong to read it by herself. The Gems had been out all week and she had been waiting for a chance to get them all together, but either they were never in the same spot at once or they brushed her off.

        Somewhere in the back of the house she heard the warp pad chime and she rocketed up, swinging her legs down to the floor and whacking herself on the coffee table. She winced but edged around it and hurried to the warp pad.

        It was Jasper, some sort of dark scroll clenched in her fist.

        "Jasper!" she motormouthed. "Are you free today?"

        "I just came back to burn somethin'," the Gem mumbled, eyes scanning the room for somebody.

        "Ah, well— maybe after that you could stay for a while," she said quickly, aware of her rapidly-shrinking time frame. "I wanted to get us all together because you've been out all week and I've been alone and I really wanted to read those books you gave me—"

        "Uh huh," she replied, uninterested, and turned back to face the Temple door. "Tell Peridot to meet me in the Bubble Room when she gets back." She stopped for a second in front of the door, gem aglow, and then the door slid open and she disappeared inside. Connie couldn't catch her before the panels slid shut again, locking her out.

        "No!" she cried in frustration, and cupped her hands to her chest, willing her gem to light up. "C'mon, c'mon. . . please?"

        Nothing happened. She sighed and turned back into the living room, just in time to catch Lapis swooping through the door. "Hey, Connie," she called.

        "Lapis!" Out of all the Gems, Lapis was the most likely to listen. "You know those books you gave me a week ago?"

        Her expression was relaxed as she landed in front of her. "Sure do."

        "I really wanted to read them together with everyone! I've hardly seen you guys all week and Jasper was just here but she wouldn't listen. And I don't know where Peridot is."

        Lapis looked confused. "I thought you could read just fine by yourself?"

        Connie huffed. "Well, yeah, of course I can, but. . . I thought it would be nice to read them with you guys because. . . y'know. . . you gave them to me."

        "Awww." She reached out and ruffled her hair. "You love us!"

        "Agh! Lapis!" She batted her hand away and smoothed her hair

        "Agh! Lapis!" She batted her hand away and smoothed her hair. "Of course I do!"

        "Awwwww!"