Christmas Day

Chapter 5! This is the second last chapter.

Annabeth woke up on Christmas Day to someone shaking her shoulders gently.

She groaned, rolling over and burying her face into Percy's chest. She didn't know what time it was, but it must have been early if she still wanted to sleep. Annabeth was usually responsive when someone wanted her awake, but when she wanted to sleep she was impossible to drag out of bed.

Unlike Percy, who was always impossible to drag out of bed. Except for today, apparently, the one day she just wanted to crawl up in bed and stay there for a few more hours.

"Come on, Annabeth. I want to go see if Santa came." It was then she realised Percy was the one shaking her. She pulled away from his chest and slumped back into her own side of the bed, back turned against Percy.

As much as she loved him and his child-like excitement, she really wanted to sleep.

For a second, the room was quiet and she believed he was going to let her fall asleep. She heard rustling, so she opened her eyes a bit to find the source of the sound. A shirtless Percy appeared in front of her, on his knees so his face was at her level. He looked adorable, with messed-up hair and begging green eyes.

How could she ever say no to him?

"Will you get out of bed if I kiss you?" he asked. "That usually works for me."

"Or we could stay in bed for a few more hours and I'll kiss you as many times as you want later," she mumbled, closing her eyes again. He let out a sigh, seeming to consider it for a moment.

"That's... tempting. But no, not today. Looks like we are going to have to do this the hard way, unless you get up now." She didn't respond. She was already drifting in a sweet, warm sleep, until she felt strong arms wrap around her and she was lifted out of bed.

The cool air hit her legs and arms - she was only wearing shorts and one of Percy's t-shirts - and she let out a yelp in surprise. "Percy!" She complained, smacking his still bare chest. He grinned, carrying her all the way to the living room before setting her down. "What time is it, anyways?"

"Around 5am," he responded. Her eyes widened, no wonder she was so tired. Percy left the room for a minute, before returning with a sleepy Sally and Paul. Paul looked surprised at Percy's enthusiasm for them to get up, but Sally just smiled contently.

They all wished each other a Merry Christmas before sitting on the couches together. Annabeth was sitting on the recliner, Percy balanced on the armrest. Paul and Sally sat on the couch, both with cups of coffee in their hands.

When Percy was sure everyone was ready, he went over the the fireplace and picked up the few presents they had bought before the snowstorm. He handed one to everyone else and kept his own in his hands.

He have Annabeth a smirk when he reached her, before grabbing both her hands and forcing her out of the chair. She rolled her eyes as he took a seat, gesturing for her to sit on his lap. Just to spite him, she took a seat on the armrest he was previously on, sending him a smirk of her own.

"Okay, Paul, you go first." Sally suggested. He opened the carefully wrapped gift, receiving a few of the books he had probably mentioned beforehand. He also got a cheesy #1 teacher coffee mug from Percy, which sent them both into a fit of laughter.

Percy watched surprisingly patiently as everyone opened their gifts. When it was his turn, Annabeth found the small, tightly wrapped present placed on the kitchen table. She sat on the arm rest again, handing it to him. "I wasn't sure exactly what to get you, but I figured you would need this."

She waited nervously as he opened the present. She had got him a watch, one that showed the digital time so he wouldn't have to struggle to read it. It had a tighter clip than most watches had so it wouldn't fall off when he was battling monsters and it was engraved underneath with his initials.

"I love it, Wisegirl," he said. "Thank you."

He leant in for a kiss, but she pushed him back, laughing. She wanted to kiss him, but not when his parents were watching them so closely.

"Oh, come on! It's Christmas, Wisegirl, and you haven't even kissed me yet." Sally laughed at this, and even Paul let out a little chuckle. Annabeth blushed deeply, hiding her face.

"Sally, do you think we should get started on some breakfast?" Paul asked, standing up as he winked at Percy.

"No way, Paul. You and Percy think you are so sneaky, with your winks. Annabeth, sweetheart, do you want to go look through some of Percy's baby pictures with me whilst they fix up some breakfast for us?"

"I would love to, Sally," Annabeth said, standing up immediately. She couldn't help but laugh at the dumbstruck expression on Percy's face. Once they were out of earshot, Sally turned to Annabeth.

"Those boys needed to be put into place. So, tell me, why haven't you kissed my son today?" Annabeth laughed, before she realised Sally was being serious. She was always in for a bit of girl-talk.

"I'm just saving it for later, I guess." Sally nodded, pulling out the album of photos from the shelf.
______________________________________________________________
Many hours later, around 8pm, Percy and Annabeth walked side by side down the icy streets of the neighbourhood. The were heading to the park, joined hands swinging as they walked.

By now, most of the thick snow had melted and it was just a frosty layer under their feet. A few snowflakes fell round them, but Annabeth knew it would be clear enough for her to fly out soon.

They were silent as they walked, just enjoying the company of each other. Annabeth felt so safe, with Percy's hand wrapped around hers. Neither of them were wearing gloves, but Annabeth was still wearing a parka and had a beanie rested onto her golden curls.

They arrived at the playground, which was deserted due to the cold of the night. In the distance, a small choir sung Christmas carols to the few people wandering the streets. Percy and Annabeth got on the swings, gently swinging back and forth as they talked.

"Have you talked to your dad today, Annabeth?"

"I spoke to him just before lunch. He said they missed me and couldn't wait until I could get there. Apparently, he booked my flight for me. I'm leaving tomorrow night."

"Tomorrow?" Percy exclaimed. "That's too soon. I already miss you."

"I'm going to miss you too, Percy. But we still have tonight, and tomorrow. I have to leave around 6pm." Percy looked down, before pulling something out of his pocket.

"I was waiting until we were alone to give you this." Annabeth got out of her swing. She came over to his and sat on his lap, like she had meant to before. He smiled, pulling her so that her back was against his chest, his arms locked around her. Since he was so tall now, he could see over her shoulder.

She unwrapped the present to find a small velvet box.

Inside was a necklace, a small silver heart pendant with the letters A&P in the middle. Annabeth smiled, immediately clipping it around her neck. She wasn't usually a jewellery type of person, but she promised herself she would always keep the necklace on her.

A reminder of a certain Seaweed Brain. "Merry Christmas, Wisegirl." Percy whispered, kissing the top of her head.