eight

CHAPTER EIGHT
( JERK OF AN EX )

THE WOODS WERE ALL too familiar to her

THE WOODS WERE ALL too familiar to her. The large trunks, sturdy branches, trees big enough for many treehouses, beautiful leaves that hid everything from the ground with ease. The leaves were changing color once again, and though Flo thought the sight was beautiful, just as she did before, she couldn't help but glare. Somewhere up there, were treehouses filled with kids of all ages, kids who suffered because of the Fire Nation, all led by the biggest jerk in existence.

Ever since they landed, she's been snappy at the others. She didn't mean to, it was just that she wanted to get out of these woods as fast as possible; it certainly didn't help that the Fire Nation roamed the area. It was why the Freedom Fighters chose this place anyway. The longer they stayed in the woods, the easier it became for them to be noticed by either Fire Nation or the Freedom Fighters, and Flo wanted neither to happen. A fight would simply break out and Aang would more or less save the day if the soldiers ran into them, but if it were the others?

Flo had a burning hatred for her ex, and she knew if she ever saw his face again he would end up with a black eye or two.

"You're glaring at nothing again," Katara said from where she sat on the ground.

"No I'm not." She was.

Katara gave her a look, rolled her eyes, and turned away only for Sokka to turn to face Flo instead. "You've been like this ever since we got here," he said, a hint of concern in his tone.

Flo looked away from him and to the side. She leaned more against Appa and didn't respond, almost disappearing into his thick fur. Sokka sighed and turned away as well. She noticed out of the corner of her eyes as he motioned for Aang to do something. The boy simply shrugged helplessly. He attempted to cheer her up earlier that morning and he got completely ignored. Still, he made a move to walk over to her and Appa, and Flo quickly lifted the hood of her cloak and wrapped the rest of it around herself. Aang frowned.

He frowned even more when he noticed that only one of two certain flighty animals weren't with them. "Where's Momo?" he asked.

As if on cue, Momo's yowl was heard deeper into the woods. Sleemo, who had been getting attention from Katara, jumped away from the girl and flew off just as Aang started to run. The other three had no choice but to follow. They eventually found the lemur caught in a trap hung high in the trees. Aang used his airbending to jump up the trees and lowered the trap to the ground. Sokka and Katara carefully opened it and let Momo out, who happily started to eat lychee nuts once he was free again.

Sleemo, though, was clawing at one of the other two traps. Hog-monkeys made a few sounds of begging. Aang went to help them as well, but Sokka used his boomerang to cut them down. Once the hog-monkeys were free as well, Sokka looked at one of the metal traps.