Chapter One

~ I remember when I was eight years of age, I wanted a friend. A friend that didn't know me for my family or my money or my background. I wanted a friend who would understand my longing and in return, ask for what I was willing to give. I often read about friends who sacrificed anything for each other. More so than any lover or partner. Perhaps that is why I never sought to settle down. Friendships are forever. In life and in death. I wouldn't find that friend for a long while. However, when I did, she showed me the way.

"If you would step outside, Tara," the doctor says curtly.

"But, of course."

As she made to leave the room, her mother made no effort to console her. She steadies her breathing. It didn't matter.

Closing the door, she sat on the bench outside the office. It was in front of a magnificent full wall window.

Outside, the weather was stormy. The sky filled with dark swirls of clouds mixed together. It was pouring. The occasional rumble of thunder would send her shaking.

However, it was a beautiful picture that she wished she could draw. She should have brought her sketchbook. If she had, she would capture every detail. From the various shadings of the huge clouds to the smallest drop of rain descending off of a leaf.

Another rumble of thunder sounds. Lightning strikes through the sky. She jumps, her heart dropping. She looks around.

The hall was empty and quiet, apart from the occasional nurse walking by the hall further down. It was dimly lit and greatly shadowed.

She looks back between the bench and the door to the office. She silently walks over to the door and presses her ear to it. The doctor was speaking.

"How long has it been since you noticed a change in her behavior?"

"I am afraid she has always been this way. However, since the day before her eleventh birthday, the problem had become more noticeable."

She puts a hand to her cheek.

"And what of this day," the doctor asks.

"My daughter claims, mind you, that an acquaintance of hers fell through the ice of the lake near our winter home. An older girl. However, when the servants found my daughter, she was alone. There was no mention of broken ice either."

"What of the young lady's name?"

"My daughter says she never had one."

Silence follows after her mother speaks. She holds her breath.

"Have you reached your observation, doctor," her mother asks.

The doctor clears his throat rather loudly. "Yes, of course. I have come to believe her behavior is trauma-related. Perhaps, it is not the trauma she describes, rather something else that seemed to cause her grief during childhood. I suggest enrolling her in a facility. I have a very select few that I would recommend.

Her mother gasps. As does she.

"A facility," she whispers.

"A facility," her mother mimics. "As in a psychiatric facility? I will not have my daughter in one of those wretched places."

"Mrs. Hansen, they are not psychiatric facilities. Not the ones I recommend to you. Please take a look."

A pause. "Thank you, kindly doctor," her mother says tightly.

__________

The ride to the train was stifling. Her mother's cold silence did little to ease her worries for admission into the Institution. Her brother, nor his wife were of any help either. Simon did nothing to discourage his wife's nonstop clucking at Tara's appearance and lack of etiquette.

It was a long two hours.

The train was still delayed when she arrived at her compartment. She was surprised to see it empty.

Before putting up her bag, she took out her drawing pad, charcoal, and ink. She settled right by the window.

A little boy and girl were outside of it, chasing each other around a woman who was talking to a man.

She watched them fascinated.

The girl sped up, only to trip and fall face forward. She starts to cry. The little boy rushed to help her up and brush off the front of her dress, then hands her a tissue. The man and woman watch their children with adoring smiles. The little girl takes the tissue then hugs the boy fiercely.

The train lurches and she falls against the seat opposite of her. At the exact moment, the door to the compartment opens and a very surprised young man regards her on the floor. He minds himself before setting his stuff down and offering her a hand.

"A-Are you alright, Miss?"

She nods, laughing. "Yes, I'm alright. Surprised, but alright. Thank you, kindly. Are we sharing?"

His eyes widen and he shakes his head, making to grab for his things.

She jumps up. "N-No! Please. Please stay. Please don't leave," she says quickly.

He continues to gather his things. She gently lays a hand on his arm.

"Please?"

He turns to her and for some odd reason, takes out a handkerchief and hands it to her.

She blinks and tears roll down her cheeks. "O-Oh. Thank you."

She wipes at her eyes ashamed.

"Perhaps you should lie down?"

Startled, she looks up. The young man was now sitting down in the other seat, watching her.

"Pardon?"

He blushes. "I don't mean to overstep! J-Just a friendly suggestion. Sleep should help ease any nerves..."

She smiles. "I appreciate the suggestion, Mr...?"

He stands up quickly. "Eddie! I-I mean, Eddie Valero. It's nice to meet you, Miss."

She laughs. "Tara. You may call me Tara, Eddie."

He blushes more. "Yes, Miss Tara."

She sets her drawing pad and supplies down. She hadn't managed to actually draw anything. She would have to start later. She lays down.

She looks to Eddie. His focus is out the window. He was quite handsome. A stray lock f brown hair lands over his eye.

She closes her eyes.

"Sweet dreams, Miss Tara."

She smiles and lets the dreams take over.