5. Second dates

Elena walked with Elijah into the restaurant he had picked. It was so fancy she couldn't even pronounce the name and yet Elijah was still able to cut the whole line. She had never believed that she needed to live a life with a lot of money but she couldn't deny it was nice. After they sat down she looked at the menu and gasped.

"This is too much, I can't afford this!" Elena blushed, closing the menu. 

"Lovely Elena, money is no object for me." He assured her. She shook her head.

"I feel bad, I don't like making people pay for everything." She confessed. It was mostly true but in this case, she usually would have let him spend his fortune on her. Katherine was the one who instructed her to worry about the money. By the endearing smile on his face, she could tell it was working. 

"I invited you here, it is only fair that I pay." He stated simply. "Get whatever you desire." 

"Fine." She gave in. "But next time I'm cooking for you." She promised.

"I think that is a fair trade." He chuckled, reaching for her hand across the table. He lifted it to his lips and placed a soft kiss on her knuckles. 

"What are you getting?" She wondered, not knowing what to get for herself. 

Meanwhile in Chicago, Caroline was sitting alone in a bar, hoping Klaus might show up. Apparently he went to Gloria's bar with one of his friends every week. She was in luck when she noticed him walk in. His friend was also extremely good looking and she had to force herself not to stare at the stunning pair. 

Luckily, Klaus noticed her. The men came over to her. 

"Evening, Love." He grinned as he slid into the barstool beside her. 

"Oh, it's you." She sighed, pretending to be unimpressed.

"Join us for a drink?" He asked. 

"Mmm, I'd rather die of thirst, but thanks." She scoffed, standing up to leave. He grabbed her hand before she could walk away. 

"Caroline-"

"Are you serious? Take a hint." She frowned at him, pulling her hand away.

"Come on, take a chance, Caroline. Get to know me, I dare you." She sighed, unable to go against the puppy dog eyes he was giving her. 

"Fine. One drink." He offered his hand and he led her to his usual table, his friend following close behind. 

"Caroline, this is Stefan. Stefan, this is the ravishing Caroline." She blushed slightly at Klaus' introduction.

"You're the Caroline he hasn't shut up about since last night?" Stefan asked earning a glare from Klaus. 

"Guilty." She shrugged, flattered by Klaus's infatuation. "I'll take a vodka soda with a lime." She smiled at Klaus who went to order their drinks. As soon as Klaus walked away, Caroline turned to Stefan. "Does he really like me? Or does he just like the challenge?" She wondered. 

"I don't know what you did but Klaus is pretty smitten," Stefan admitted, glancing at his friend. "What about you? That's a pretty big question for someone who's playing hard to get." 

"Hard to get? I'm already planning our June wedding." She joked and Stefan chuckled. "I've dated guys like him before and got my heartbroken. I don't want to fall again if its going to blow up in my face." She explained. For some reason, talking to Stefan was comfortable. She felt like she could tell him anything, though she knew she couldn't. 

"Klaus may seem like a big tough guy but he's a big softie," Stefan told her with a grin. "Don't tell him I said that." Caroline watched the man walk back to their table holding their drinks. 

"I hope Stefan didn't bore you too much Sweetheart. I know how broody he can be." Klaus grinned as he handed her the drink. 

"Haha." Stefan rolled his eyes. 

"So, Caroline, tell me about yourself." 

After dinner, Elena and Elijah took a walk through the park. He insisted he could get hem a driver but Elena convinced him to take the evening stroll with her. They walked towards her place and she held tightly to his arm. 

"Elena, I've been rather enjoying our time together." Elijah began, looking down at the beautiful brunette. "We've already planned another evening and so...I'm wondering if it is too soon to make this official..." He seemed nervous and Elena could feel butterflies in her stomach. 

"Are you asking me to be your girlfriend?" Elena clarified.

"Yes. However, if it is too soon I understand and-"

"Elijah, I would love to be your girlfriend." He sighed in relief, "but, before I agree to anything, we need to talk about something." She stopped on a bench and the pair sat down.

"Anything."

"Katherine." He tensed at the mention of her sister and she honestly couldn't blame him. "You two have a history and that might affect our relationship. And before you say it won't I've been in this situation before." She sighed. "I really like you but if you can't separate your feelings for my sister from your feelings for me, I need to know now." 

"Elena, you and Katherine are nothing alike."

"We look identical." She reminded him, crossing her arms.

"I beg to differ. There is a softness in your eyes that Katherine never had. Your smile has this warmth that she never showed. Plus, you are much more beautiful." Elena rolled her eyes but couldn't stop the heat rising in her cheeks.

"What if we get into a fight or something? Are you immediately going to say that I'm just like Katherine?" Elena asked.

"You can't be blamed for your sister's actions. I pride myself in being an honourable man, Elena and I will not blame you for what she has done." He promised. 

"Okay." Elena smiled. "In that case, I would love to be your girlfriend." She pulled him into a kiss by his tie and he smiled against her lips.