2.

•••

"Mom"
"We're screwed." Ro muttered under her breath.

"Get to home tree. Now." That's all she said before disappearing into the forest. I felt like my heart was in my stomach. I've never gotten in trouble with mom before. Especially not something like this, something that is forbidden.

We were silent the whole way to home tree. Not a word, complaint, or even a sigh cane from any of us. The only thing that was heard was the rushing waters of the swamp and the forest around us. Our minds were racing a million miles a second. What's gonna happen..

We all stopped in front of home tree. It never gets old looking at it. It's so large and beautiful, nothing could ever compare to it.

I grabbed Mira's hand. She was the youngest of us. We're only a couple months apart but I always felt like I needed to look after her.

"It'll be okay." Her face looked pale compared to her usual light brown skin. In fact we all probably looked pale and frightened. Mom is a good woman but a force to be reckoned with. Our history describes her a fierce warrior.

"Let's get this over with." Terra was the first to cross over through home tree. Outsiders cannot see but home tree has a large opening through the bottom of its trunk. That's where the barrier lies and the entrance to Uridetta.

I tugged on Mira's hand for her to go through with me. Then Ro followed closely behind.

Crossing over is always a great feeling. Usually I feel warmth and excitement every single time but this time I felt cold.

"Ladies." Mom stood by the moon pool were we hold our ceremonial gatherings. She was fuming with us. Even though she kept a composed look, I could feel the disgust in her.

"I don't ask much of you. Just to follow my simple instructions. What do you think you were doing out there." We all hung our heads down in shame not daring to say a word or look her in the eyes.

"Speak, one of you." She stepped forward towering over us. I could feel my palms become sweaty. My stomach started to tighten.

"We thought we would have some fun before Eri had her ceremony." Terra held her head up. She was trying to put on a brave face. She was the oldest of us so she thought she needed to stand up for us all the time.

"You." Mom zoomed to Terra towering over her. Mom had to be around 6 feet tall and Terra was quite small, around 5'2 so you can imagine how frightening mom is. She wasn't really the image of a witch like in all the children's stories but she wasn't far off from it. She's beautiful but you can tell she's aged and keeps up with her hair and fashion.

"I expect better from you. You should set an example for them. What would young Sybil think?" Oh god, she's using Terras daughter against her. Sybil is Terras world. She's the sweetest child I have ever come across and for mom to use that against Terra is heartbreaking. It sounds like mom is basically Terra is a bad parent.

"I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking." She hung her head low. Her ears were beaming red and I could feel her embarrassment. I felt terrible.

"It wasn't all her fault. I made a mistake too. I begged them to take me before the ceremony." Mom whipped her head down the line to me. Why did I open my mouth? She then slowly made her way to me. She liked me she saw me as one of her favorites but not right now. She looked disgusted in me.

"Any reason you needed to have this so called "fun"?" I gulped before answering her. It felt like her gaze was choking me.

"I just wanted to have free time before taking on a big responsibility. I'm truly sorry." I hung my head low again too afraid to stare her.