Chapter 12 : Daily Subscriptions of Issues

Since I was broke at the moment, I had to ask a few people to see if I could borrow some cash to get through those last couple of days. Time went on, and I waited until payday for groceries and to pay back the people I borrowed from.

Finally, payday had come, I was hoping to put some money into savings and payback those who I owed the money to. I got paid around $1500, and I was planning on taking $250 out for food for the next two weeks and my personal debts that I owe. I don't like owing people and not paying them back because I don't want to have that impression of borrowing and not paying back my debt.

I was planning on calling my bank soon. I wanted to transfer $400 to the savings account. Since the bills were paid for the month from the last pay period, I figured we could have enough to put some into savings.

I called my bank finally and got a hold of a representative to make the transfer. As I was on the phone, I had confirmed who I was by answering a few questions. Then I continued to ask to place a bank transaction. The representative went ahead to process the action. She then told me that the transaction couldn't be processed since the result had insufficient funds. As a matter of fact, they said I had a negative balance of $-423.17 in the checking account. I had to owe my bank $423.17. I asked the representative what happened. I checked the account yesterday and had around $1,200 in checking.

The representative replied, "Due to overwrites of checks that were written, they were bounced from accessed amounts which results in why you have a negative balance. You are also going to be charged with penalties for the lateness of the checks."

I then hung up the phone and immediately tried to call up my wife to see what the situation was. I can handle being in debt by a miscalculation of a few dollars or so. But a continual process of being in debt, especially from $12.00 one pay period than two weeks later $400. This isn't right.

I finally got in contact with Jessica. I didn't give her much of a chance to even say the word hello. I began to go off.

Jessica cut me off and then started yelling at me, "It's all your fault, and you have no reason to yell at me like that." She continued with an aggressive attitude, "This isn't all your money. It's mine too! I need to buy things for myself and my son. I also have other personal bills, sorry for not telling you, but I have a cell phone and cable to pay for. It is my fault for miss calculations, but I need to pay for these too! I also got two traffic tickets; one for speeding and another for not providing the proof of insurance."

After hearing this, I was so enraged that I didn't know what to say. I knew that even with those minor bills, she still had some money left over, and since she was currently staying at her grandparent's house again, she didn't pay for the rent. I didn't know directly how to handle this knowing next pay period I have our usual bills to pay and the money I owe the bank would be automatically deducted from my account. It would be some time before I could receive my next entire paycheck.

I thought to myself, "I have a good job and my own space in the apartment I am in, but am stuck with limitations. I have been limited to a spending budget and not in a good way, from trying to venture out and explore the sites of this country for the past several weeks." Each time that I would go out with my friends, they would pay for the tab. I would feel pretty low, even though they understood the situation. When I went out by myself, all's I could do is window shop. I couldn't even buy one souvenir for myself.

At one time, I tried to pull more money out to save and have in reserve. Just in case I may want to purchase something. This was a mistake. Out of the money that I took out, Jessica believed she could take out more since she believed that it all was her money. So, at the end of playing tug of war with the money, withdraw, I lost again! I ended up owing my bank around $600 this pay period.