(nine) kingdom by the sea

"There it is

"There it is."

They lifted their tired eyes and before them stood the mountains of the Summer Country, white-tipped and streaked with black. The autumn winds were blowing that would summon winter, but Leta saw nothing and felt nothing.

"A sweet, green kingdom by the sea. Of all the kingdoms of these islands," Cedric continued, "Summers are longest here."

They followed the winding path up the green shoulders of the hills, poppies and daisies still sprinkling the grass like stars.

Through unmanned gates they climbed upward a broad path. There were many houses built of wood and faded doors as they passed. In the middle of the town in a stone channel a stream of clear water flowed and sparkled. A little girl dipped her bucket into the water and smiled at Leta and her companions and continued onward.

At length they came to the crown of the hill. The guards outside the old castle stepped forward, barring the way with spears. "Strangers are not welcome here in days of war," the guard warned. "Who are you that wish to speak to Queen Narcissa?"

"We are weary travelers in need of rest." Cedric flourished his hand about in the air, rather dramatically. "And we would very much like to pay our respects to your Lady."

Leta tried to read the guard's face as she waited for him to speak. He looked to be in his twenties, no more than a few years older than she was. Yet he wore signs of sharp experience, and there was a weary set to his shoulders, deep lines around his mouth.

"If..." Cedric continued, speaking slowly, carefully. "If you doubt us, if you do not trust us, please show your Queen this." And he extended his hand, displaying a gold signet ring mounted with a lone round ruby. The guard took the ring and disappeared inside behind the walls of Hillshire, leaving them in the watch of his comrades.

After some time, he finally returned. "Narcissa gives you leave to enter, but any weapon must be surrendered."

The gates were swung open. Their guide, Lucan, led them up a broad path strewn with stones, and further upward a long platform of well-laid steps. They climbed the long platform up toward a mighty house for drinking and meetings between the Queen and her advisors.

Inside it was dark and warm, and the hall was long and wide and filled with half lights

Inside it was dark and warm, and the hall was long and wide and filled with half lights. Through the mighty pillars fell bright sunbeams, illuminating the carved pillars, gleaming against paintings of birds and flowers on white walls.

The companions continued forward, past a wood-fire burning on the hearth in the middle of the hall. At the far end of the hall, upon the dais, sat a woman with long, thick hair falling in intricate braids.

The woman slowly rose, effortless and beautiful, and she held Cedric's signet ring between her fingers. There was silence. She circled the group, turning the signet ring over and over in her hands, and then her eyes met Leta's.

"So, it is true." She looked to Cedric. "Leta, daughter of Lysander of the House of Penrose, Lord of the Western Kingdoms and her City of Legions." Her eyes trailed her body from the worn boots on her feet to her untamed hair. "I suppose you are welcome here," she finally said, after some time. Her eyes fixed on Tristan, silent. "Come, let us take refreshment."

They passed back into the great house. At the Queen's table they ate and drank. Leta and Tristan were silent while Narcissa questioned Cedric concerning Kyan, and Leta.

"What do you make of him? You know him, and you knew his father and grandfather."

"Duncan was one of the finest men I knew," he said. "He was honorable and just, and ruled with a strong but caring hand. But he was simple, and that was his weakness. He was unwilling to play for all the marbles, to do whatever it takes. Duncan wanted peace between the kingdoms," Cedric continued. "Corin raised Duncan with such love that he thought of him as a father, more than Calas." He paused, lost in thought for a moment. "But Calas was a hound, relentless once he picked up the scent of his prey."

"My husband wishes to come to terms with the High King," she informed him. She paused and glanced around, feeling for a response.

"I fear Kyan may be his like his grandfather. But..." They all looked at Cedric expectantly. "We could approach Gale. He understands the need for diplomacy."

"He's loyal to his brother," Narcissa pointed out.

"Yes," Cedric acknowledged. "He's young. Loyalty and trust are important to the young man. But sometimes we're loyal to more than one thing. When there's a conflict, we have to choose which loyalty to honor."

Nightfall was approaching, the light pouring away past the world's horizon painted blue on blue, one stroke at a time, into deeper and deeper shades of night

As each thing crept back into its own nature within the shelter of the dark, Leta hurried through the lower courtyard. If it was true that Tristan was leaving, she wanted to hear it from the horse's mouth.

She had heard Tristan request a horse from the Queen, as he was leaving posthaste. At this time of night? Leta cast a dubious eye at the evening sky. It was a warm evening, certainly, and they'd slept under the stars enough not to fear the darkness.

Through an archway in the distance, she could see the faint glow of a lantern and hear the low hum of his voice. She hurried along, ducked through the low arch, and came out in the stable yard. Tristan stood beside his white charger, methodically loading the saddle bag.

She approached awkwardly, unsure what to say. "You're leaving?" she asked unnecessarily.

Tristan nodded and did not, could not meet her eye. His fingers were busy closing flaps, fastening buckles and tightening straps. "I made a promise."

Whether it takes a few hours, or a year, or forty-five years. The words hung in the air between them. From the woodland above, a nightingale sang through the night.

At length she drew on her courage and approached closer. She avoided his gaze, caressing the white charger. Her heart beat painfully at the thought of parting with him.

She wanted to come with him, and she almost begged him to let her join. She would only be a nuisance, however. She would hinder Tristan and be another person for him to worry after.

"I trust your word," she finally said. She looked up at him. "And I place faith in your honor. What you must do, you must do."

"Till we meet again." He tried to smile.