CHAPTER 26

I was quiet during the duration of Issak’s tests on the few servants who had agreed to be something poked and prodded at. I couldn’t understand why they wanted a creep like that to poke them with needles in order to gather dna. Curiosity maybe? However, I didn’t really try to figure out a reason. I was too busy mulling over the fact that I, King Asurah of Glacion, was in love with someone. Me. The one person who swore he would never fall in love...was in love. It was quite ironic how some things turned out, huh? And as I sat there, staring as a needle was pushed into one of my servant’s arm, I wondered if Joseph felt the same way about me. I mean, he did ask me what I felt for him, and I was sure that he would only ask that if he had some feeling towards me, right? Why else would he ask me such a loaded question?

I risked yet another glance at Joseph, watching as he read something on my digital tablet I let him borrow, since he had been so bored. He looked so at peace as those chocolate eyes of his drifted word to word, his perfect white teeth nibbling at his full bottom lip. I felt an ache in my chest at being so far from him, and when he looked up at me, I blushed darkly and looked away, embarrassed that he caught me staring.

I couldn’t help it, though. I was drawn to him, even subconsciously. I couldn’t keep my eyes off of him no matter how hard I tried, and it only solidified the revelation that I was head over heels for this man. And what a scary thought that was. If anyone knew about my feelings towards Joseph...they could use him against me in order to take over Glacion. They could kidnap him, or worse. And what would I do then? I would only break and do as my father had done. Then where would that leave Glacion? In the enemies hands? There were so many other kings and queens that loathed me for some unfathomable reason. I’ve no doubt that once they found out my weakness, they would be on the next warship here, ready to take me down.

No. I was overthinking this. Maybe nothing will happen. I mean, there were plenty of kings and queens with consorts, and they’re all fine. Besides...Glacion may be a mostly peaceful planet, but we were a force to be reckoned with if we were in danger.

“Is it just me? Or are you dozing out more than usual?” Joseph’s voice rang in my ear, making me glance sideways at him. My heart immediately began racing as I cleared my throat, hoping that he didn’t see how flustered he was making me. He didn’t notice, did he? Please tell me he can’t see the raging blush on my cheeks...or hear how fast my heart was racing. Ugh, I would be so embarrassed if he caught on. Unless he felt the same way. That would at least make it less awkward when I confess my undying love for him, or some crap.

Relationships were hard. How did one do it? Was it supposed to be romantic when I mustered up the courage to tell Joseph? Or, was that only a movie thing? Anything with love was so new to me, since I’ve never had feelings this strong for another, before. I never even had a crush. Oh crap. What if I mess up? What if I tell him and he doesn’t feel the same towards me? What would happen to me then? Would I be too heartbroken to live on? What about my people. What about-

“Asurah.”

I blinked and looked over to Joseph, noticing the worried look on his face. “Um, yeah? Sorry...I have a...lot on my mind.”

Joseph frowned at me, studying me with dewy brown eyes, a brown curl hanging just above his nose. “You sure? Cuz if we’re going to be doing the whole “oops he died” thing on Issak, we need to have both of our heads in the game.”

I nodded, clearing my throat as I side glanced at Issak, seeing that he was still invested in his tests. I looked back at Joseph, crossing my arms over my chest as I cocked my hip to the side, not missing the way Joseph’s eyes dropped, watching the movement.

That meant he liked me, right? Why else would he look at my hips? I felt a surge of happiness that he was distracted by me. All Glacic’s took pride in their bodies, and even though I had wide hips unlike the other Glacic males, I still took pride in the fact that I had the attention of the one man that counted. I resisted the urge to smirk and wiggle my hips in a sudden burst of courage, just to make him flustered. However, that would have to wait until Issak the Creep wasn’t staring at us with a look of disgust as his last subject walked out of the lab.