The Noah

Except for the time I should go to the restroom, I never turned my eyes from the tablet. I didn't realize when my friends fall asleep, and I couldn't remember when I nodded off.

I opened my eyes hard. It was 10 in the morning. I found myself on a sofa with a blanket on my body. Thomas had left a note reading, "I didn't manage to wake you up, we are going to work."

I took my stuff and went home. I didn't even think about going to work. It was the first time to feel I'm on the right path. Nothing seemed to be a matter of importance to me. I wanted to obtain all the information available on the issue and find a way to approach Noah Company by hook or by crook.

My phone rang several times. I had not paid attention to it by the time Stephen came to my place. "Are you OK Adam," he asked. He added, "They called me from your company, asking about your whereabouts. Where the hell are you?"

I didn't bother to open the door. I told him over the door phone, "Tell them I won't come, I'm OK, I need to be alone for some time."

It wasn't the first time I suddenly decided not to go to work, so Stephen didn't get surprised. "Don't put too much pressure on you, and keep us informed," he asked.

I became really crazy. As I walked, I imagined I'm in the space on a spacecraft. I was talking to the home appliances.

An article read, "The stem cells of the best and genetically modified species of animals are being kept at the spacecraft's genetic bank. If any sign of life is found on Earth, they will clone all creatures, so that they could reproduce all animals and plants on Earth. As for human cloning, all scientists believe that it is wrong to clone human being to transfer him to Earth. If Earth has the capacity to house human being, just healthy and competent people should primarily be used."

I told myself if they intend to send some individuals to Earth, they should find some people who are perfect in all aspects, so I am the right option. "My IQ is 140. I have a relatively good appearance. I am 180 cm tall, and I am an athlete. Who else can they select?"

My illusion made me break into a grin, but in my heart of hearts, I knew that this thought had not crossed my mind groundlessly and that I'd been selected for this task!

I was well prepared to work for Noah Company, being ready to undergo any test and hard conditions to be recruited by them. I felt my life would become meaningful if I got hired by them, and I would get rid of this frivolity forever. From then on, I began to work out strenuously, stuck to an appropriate diet, and even registered in an online university in aerospace, reading articles from morning till night.

One year elapsed, and I did it round-the-clock. I kept myself aloof from my friends. I received a lot of messages from time to time. They either expressed concern about me or complain about my unwillingness to visit them. Ignorant about what was going on around me, I frantically strove for my goal.

One day, a message came from the university notifying students that Professor Noah had made it to Venus from Earth and that he was going to take part in a conference about "the possibility of life on Earth" and deliver a speech. All aerospace students and scientists had been invited to participate in the conference. I was extremely glad. I'd always longed to see the Professor closely.

There came the conference day. I was among the first people to arrive at the venue. I made every effort to find a seat in the front row.

The venue was full of noted figures. Being a part of such a community, I was floating on air. I took a look at the people around me - a 20-year-old youth in the middle of several middle-aged people. They all were at least 40 years my senior.