New friends

I forgot everything for a moment and a state of agitation dominated me. I didn't want to follow her and preferred to get to the others. Seemingly, I came to believe that the people and this woman were tasked with accompanying me to the hell. She was striding ahead and my anxiety made me gasp for breath. My heart pounding in my chest. I’d better bring myself under control. I knew if I could control my anxiety from the first day, I would get fine; otherwise, my anxiety would get worse.
There was a long corridor with a lot of doors on both sides. I had no idea whether it was cold or I was shivering. I felt that I had seen this scene in my dream, but I couldn't remember it. I wanted to guess where I was going to and what I was going to face.
The woman stood near a door, looking at my appearance. She said, “Your clothes really befits you, but unfortunately you should change it. There is a special dress in the room. You should wear it from now on. If you wish I will post it to the address of your house.”
I entered the room. There was a table at the center of the room on which they had put a white dress. I got dressed. I felt I had lost a bit of my confidence after I removed the military uniform. I noticed that there was a full-length mirror on the wall. I looked myself in it. Seeing myself, I felt better. White dress always fitted me. A divine feeling dominated me.
When I came out of the room, I felt less agitated than the time I was walking towards the room. I gave my own clothes to the woman, asking her to send it to my father's house. I wished they would be relaxed when they see it and review the memories of the last days we spent together.
I walked along the corridor again. She grabbed a door handle and opened the door. She refrained from entering the room. She stood aside and said with a smile, “Welcome to your new life!”
Her remark was meaningful. For a moment, my mind was devoid of any thought. Like someone who fears, I took short steps and entered the room.
The room had gray high walls and dark floors. Many colorful fluorescent tubes illuminated the room. The lights were on, but they couldn’t have removed the spiritless atmosphere of the room. There was a large desk on my right equipped with several monitors and a lot of lights and buttons. In the middle of the room, there was a series of closets and a library.
All of a sudden, I felt someone was watching me from the left side. I turned my heads and saw six boys and girls on the white clothes like the one I wore sitting in black armchairs and speechlessly gazing at me. My jaw dropped open. I said, "Hi, I'm Adam."
One by one, they stood in respect. I approached each of them and shook hands. Evidently, they were the ones whom I should live with for the rest of my life. Their eyes roved over me.
- Hi, I'm Daniel.
- I'm Tom.
- I'm Jessica.
- Hi, I'm Sally.
- Hi, I'm William.
- I'm Sarah.
-Hi, I'm Eve.
In my opinion, all of them were excellent and flawless. They were in shape and well-mannered. They all looked pleasant.
Daniel said, "You're the last person to arrive, and we have been waiting for two days to learn who the last person is and what he looks like. Anyway, you're better than I've guessed.” We all laughed. Everyone gave me positive energy. I'd never had any intimate friend. But I found seven close friends in a short period of time. I sat next to other guys.
Sally said, "In the two days that you were not here, we introduced ourselves. I would like you to tell us about yourself.” She paused and said, “I’m sorry. You might be tired. We're not in a hurry. We have five days to talk about ourselves until the company's program gets underway. We have a lot of time to get familiarized with one another.”
I replied, “Indeed, I have been so eager to know who my new family members are and what have brought us together.”
I started to tell them about my past. I talked about my experience in doing different jobs, changing my major, and other interesting things I could remember. While I was speaking, the other guys interrupted me to talk about themselves, but I dominated the discussion. Meanwhile, I was scrutinizing the guys.
Although I was an athlete and satisfied with my physique, Daniel's body stunned me. He was broad-shouldered and a few centimeter taller than me. He had blond hair and bright eyes. Seemingly, he was serious, but he was witty and kind. Characteristically, he was similar to those you feel secure next to them.
On the contrary, Tom was lean and tall and had black eyes and eyebrows. He tried to amuse the others with his funny comments. His jokes was not interesting at all, and nobody paid attention to them.
Jessica was a female answer to Daniel. She was 175 cm tall, blue-eyed, blond, and sturdy. I could tell from their appearance that they were sister and brother. I hadn't had a good feeling towards blond, blue-eyed people, but these two were characteristically special.
Sally was really nice. She was neither big nor small, neither short nor tall. She had black eyes and eyebrows. Nothing was wrong with her appearance. It seemed that she looked down on us and avoided looking at boys, especially me. It might have been wrong to expect others to behave passionately and immediately get intimate in the same manner that I did.
William was the shortest among other boys. I thought I could feel at ease with him further than other guys. He was well-mannered and quiet and always wore a smile on his face. He would directly look at your eyes. I felt he was listening to me carefully. Clearly, he was characteristically a helpful kind of person and would do anything alone on the mission expecting no reward or gratitude.
Sarah and William were sitting next to each other with Sarah holding his hand tightly.
The color of Sarah's eyes was one of a kind. Her eyes were grayish with long eyelashes. She had white skin. The color of her eyes was odd. It was so frightening that I couldn't look directly at her eyes. I liked her feeling towards William though.
Finally, Eve had large, dark brown eyes and an innocent face. She was taciturn and graceful. She was the tiniest girl in our group. She had a characteristically adorable look. While Sally was really the best-looking one, I felt better towards Eve from the beginning. She was positively energetic with her look pacifying me.
I had already had that feeling only towards my mother.
I had no idea whether other guys paid attention to these things as much as I did. I would like to read their mind to find what they were thinking about me. I got a bit ashamed to be evaluating others. After all, they were to be my new family, and I shouldn’t have attached importance to their appearance.
We spent four to five hours speaking.
There was a large vending machine out there in the room which contained hot and cold drinks and a few snacks. It was at our disposal. William brought drinks for all a few times. It was about eleven o’clock. Speaking too much, we were all exhausted. We decided to go to our rooms to sleep. Tom said, “Follow me Adam. Let me show your bed.”
We all entered a corridor and stood in front of a room. The way the guys said good night indicated that they had the boys and girls separated. It was a good idea that the boys and girls could spend some time apart. Often, boys and girls feel at ease without the presence of the opposite sex and they even further enjoy themselves. However, I had no idea why we should be separated right before the mission, while we were going to live next to each other for the rest of our lives.
I couldn’t avoid asking Daniel, “Why do they have separated us from one another? After all, we’ll be deployed to Earth by a Shuttle sooner or later and we’ll live together until we die.”
Thomas said, “Indeed, the same question came to our minds too. Immediately, I asked the Professor. In fact, they believe we might soon develop a crush on one another since we're all young boys and girls, and such infatuation may be troublesome on Earth. Principally, they assume that, in the worst-case scenario, just a girl and a boy will survive, so that the human life will continue. Therefore, if there is no mutual love, it will make no difference which couple could survive. But if two people develop a passion for each other, we might manipulate this natural selection. If one party dies, his loved one might lose her passion and make no effort for survival. And such craps!”
This answer sounded ridiculous; however, a company like Noah had certainly worked on the details of the mission, and they had seen things that may never struck to our minds.
We entered a large room. There were two bunk beds and other facilities in the room.
Apparently, Daniel and I had to share a bunk bed. Daniel told me that he had slept on the upper bunk in the previous two nights and that he didn't feel at ease on the lower bunk. “I don't fall asleep in the lower bunk,” he said.
I quickly said I'd rather to sleep on the lower bed. “On the contrary, I feel more secure on the lower bunk. I am just worried whether it is sturdy enough! Should you fall on me in the middle of the night, I will be crushed to death,” I replied.
We brushed our teeth and went to our beds. We had a soft bed and comfortable pillow. Although the room was not cold, I preferred to go under the blanket and pulled it up to my chin.
I was extremely satisfied with my friends and fate which had brought me out there. I fell asleep while I was imagining the guy's face.
I woke up to the movement of the bed. I saw Daniel had woke up and was coming down from his bed. He was so big and well-built that the bed was severely shaking. Right in the middle of the bed steps, he took a look at me, saying quietly, “Did I awaken you?”
I smiled and said, “That’s okay. I'll get up too.”
I was always moving while sleeping, and the blanket fell down the bed. I held an end of the blanket with my foot finger and pulled it up. I went under the blanket again. I did it every morning. Even If I didn't feel like sleeping, I went under the blanket to warm up then I got up.
I looked around and saw Tom and William were still asleep and Daniel went to the bathroom. Because only two bathrooms were in the room, I took the chance to go into the bathroom before they got up.
It didn't take a long time, but as I came out of the bathroom I saw William and Tom each holding a towel sitting on the chairs with drowsy faces waiting for Daniel or me to come out. I heard Daniel whispering in the bathroom. It seemed that he was a happy-go-lucky person and took an hour-long shower. As Tom saw me, he said, “We were worried about you taking a shower for an hour!”
After half an hour, we got ready and left the room. Tom and Daniel stopped by the girls’ room. They knocked at the door and laughed loudly without having told me they wanted to do so. Then, they ran away! As I realized the joke, I fled too. After all, girls might open the door and see me standing alone at the door and put the blame on me!
The guys entered the eatery. There was a variety of dishes for breakfast. Everyone filled their plate.
While I was pouring juice, I heard the girls making noise as they entered the eatery. It seemed that the boys had been playing tricks for days.
Tom, Daniel, Jessica, Sarah, and Sally were playing tricks.
Unfortunately, I'd failed to enjoy my childhood and never had I been described as a mischievous child. From then on, I'd like to do anything recklessly and shamelessly like a child when I saw a devil kid. After many years, I began to experience the same feeling again. I felt like mingling with them.
Even then, I enjoyed myself merely watching them and laughing at them. As I was laughing, I had an eye contact with Eve standing a few steps apart.
When I looked at her, I would become pacified, no matter I was happy or sad, as if her eyes had offered me a sedative. My cackles turned into a smile as I saw her.
After breakfast, the guys suggested we go out to play. Outside the hall, there was a yard with playground and sports venues. They were so noisy that I was worried someone would come and call on us not to make so much noise, but not a single person cared about that. I had such wonderful time for a few days that I didn't realize how time passed. Even while I was asleep, I dreamed about teasing one another.
Although the presence of Eve gave me peace, I tried to keep off her during our discussions and play so that I should not visualize her because I didn't like to get involved with anyone. I didn't want to have a crush on a person in such an important mission. Except for Sarah and William who were friends before their recruitment, others tried not to get into a romantic relationship.
One night, when we left girls to go to our rooms, Daniel suddenly said, “I think Eve is great!”
I didn’t expect such a remark from Daniel, and even their behavior suggested that he loved Jessica.
I realized everyone came to receive good feeling and positive energy from Eve. Since Daniel was much better than me from all aspects, Daniel would match Eve more than I if one of us was to be chosen.
With a hearth filled with sorrow, I made any effort to think about Sally and Jessica so that my passion for Eve faded away. Grief dominated my hearth. I wished I could order two glasses of beer and drank voraciously. Much to my regret, there were not such a thing.
I don’t remember how many days had passed exactly. One morning, as I was going to pass the girls’ room, I had a craving for knocking at their door and escaping. I ran towards the door ahead of the guys. As I knocked at the door, the girls opened it and poured a bucket of cool water on me without noticing me.
Neither the boys expected me to do so nor the girls expected to see me. All were silent for a few seconds. I was shocked.
After a while, the boys burst into laughter and the girls follow suit. I burst into laughter since I didn't want to give up, yet it was not a heartfelt howl of laughter. I felt everybody thought I'm an absolute fool.
Sally exclaimed, “Adam! Is that you who knocked every day and fled? You’re the only one I couldn't guess!”
Tom and Daniel continued laughing, saying, “Didn't we tell you we weren't? You wrongly put the blame on us.”
Sara turned to Sally and said, “My deer! Can't you remember they did so before Adam joined us? Now, they might have guessed we were planning to give them hell, deceiving poor Adam into doing it and he fell into a trap laid by us.”
Sarah got to my help. She managed to convince the others. Otherwise, the boys would put the blame on me.
I got disturbed and felt shameful. I insulted myself. When Eve took a look at me from the end of the room, she burst into laughter.
The screwed-up situation was completed as the woman who ushered me into the company on the first day appeared at the door after a few days that nobody had heard of us. She first took a contemptuous look at me and told everybody, “Guys! Please eat your breakfast and gather at the main hall at nine. Dr. Anderson wants to talk to you.” I had less than an hour.
I got to my room to change my clothes. Others went to eat breakfast. By the time I changed my clothes and got to the eatery, I lost the opportunity to eat breakfast and all the guys were leaving there. While all these misfortunes were getting on my nerves, Eve came forward and gave me a sandwich. She said, “I've made this for you. I guessed you’ll miss the breakfast.”
What she said suddenly changed my state of mind. It meant the world to me. Eve didn't express her emotion. It was hard to understand whether she'd liked anybody in the previous week!
Although I was very hungry, I didn't feel like eating the sandwich. Had it not spoiled, I would have kept it in refrigerator for the rest of my life. It was a simple sandwich, yet it tasted good. I wished she had made two sandwiches!
I saw Daniel looking kindly at me. I couldn't understand what he meant by his smile and look. He might long for a bite at my sandwich or be envious of Eve's kindness.
We entered the main hall. The doctor opened the door right at nine. As I seen the doctor, I recognized him. I had seen him on the day of interview. He was that nice elderly man.
We all stood up in respect. The way others showed respect indicated they had already known him.
He sat on a sofa and said, “Take a seat my dears. Well, I see you've really had a good time. We should remember why we have gathered together and be a little more serious.” Then he took a glance at me. He might have known what had happened in the morning!
He added, “Today I have a tough task. I want to tell you a bit of bad news. You might get upset to hear it, but I would be pleased if you put yourself in our shoes. The company is entitled to carefully scrutinize each of you because it is to make heavy investment in you. Even a minor error on the part of you or any member of the team will make years-long efforts futile and cost the company tens of billions. So please be strong and take what I say as a fatherly remark. In the past week you spent enjoying yourself, the company's staff have spent a hard week. Each of you was under surveillance through CCTV all day long without noticing. We carefully examined all your movements by psychologists and behavioral experts. We examined your eating, walking, and even sleeping!”
Hearing this, I got surprised. I believed it was not ethical to keep us under surveillance every second. After all, everyone does something in his loneliness.
The doctor went on, “You are very valuable to us, but the sad truth is that after examining your behaviors we concluded that unfortunately the two of you will not be able to continue this journey.”
As I heard it, I got goosebumps! Unintentionally, I felt he would state my name. All were stunned. It was the worst news we could have heard. None of us would like to leave the system.
Doctor said, “Before I say the two people's name, you should know that the two will not travel with you to Earth, but if they like, they can work in the company and for the company, and if they get well prepared by the time we decide to send the next group to Earth, they will be given priority.”
My heart was pounding in my chest. What the doctor said didn't pacify me and also made me more nervous and worried. I didn't want the doctor to continue his statement. I feared to hear who would be removed; meanwhile, I liked to get free of that limbo. It was clear from the others’ appearance that their feeling was the same as mine.
The Doctor slowly continued, “One of the abilities you must have on the mission is that you should carry out all tasks on your own. Without the help of your friends. On this trip, it is quite possible that you have to spend a part of the journey on your own. It is also possible that just one person survives, and the person should advance the project as long as possible.”
When his speech came to an end, I felt that he was only looking at Daniel. I turned my head towards Daniel and saw him lowering his head and holding it with his hands. Everybody twisted their head, taking a look at Daniel. I learned that Daniel was one the two people who would be leaving. Although I had known Daniel for a short time, I'd got used to him, and I'd counted on him a lot on that journey.
His broad shoulder began to shake. With his head facing the ground, his drops of tear were splashing on the floor. It was a pathetic scene. We all had a lump in our throats, but we didn't dare to console him because the second person who would be removed had yet to be clear. The Doctor didn't make us wait and went on, “Dear Daniel! We studied your behavior and found that you get weak and anxious when you are alone and behave impulsively. We have decided that you stay with us for the time being. You can be treated by our best in-house experts and join your friends on the next journey.
It is natural that people develop passion for one another if they stay together for a while. It is a good idea that we like and even love each other. However, the important point is that we have gathered together for the greatest scientific project ever. Therefore, if we get involved in a romantic relationship, we might act emotionally under certain situations and fail to achieve a desirable result. We came to understand the passion you have developed for the others and even know, better than you, your mutual feelings towards each other. This interest is good to a certain extent, but it spoils our plans if it exceeds a limit. I must say that the relationship between William and Sarah is so strong that we cannot accept. Unfortunately, I must say that one of you will stay with us.
Since we have removed Daniel from boys, preferably one of the girls must be removed, and in fact Sarah is the second person who will stay with us. In this period, you can learn how to live far from each other and bring your feeling under control.”
No sooner had the Doctor stopped speaking, than Sarah burst into tears.
I was filled with pity. The poor guy suffered two blows at the same time. She both had to be separated from her loved one forcedly and was not be able to go on the mission. Everybody was down in the dumps. It spoiled the whole sweet week we spent together.
Others were sad about the removal of Daniel and Sarah, although they would remain certainly. As if it had woken us up, and we came to understand the journey was more serious than we had thought.
In the atmosphere filled with sorrow, I was happy that Eve and I had not been removed. If either of us had been removed, I would have forgotten its regret for the rest of my life. I recalled the words of the Doctor, who said the lovers couldn't afford to stay, and I decided to control myself or I would be the following person to be removed.
Several hours passed. Daniel had gone into the room and asked all to leave him alone so that he could deal with the issue. William and Sarah were sitting apart from the rest, William whispered something in Sarah's ear. We were silently sitting in the middle of the hall watching TV. In the previous week, a storm had broken again and caused considerable damage to towns and buildings. In the previous days, we kept ourselves so occupied by our work that we didn't understand anything, and we came to hear the news the same day that the storm had abated. The heartbreaking scenes were reminiscence of the fact as to why we all had gathered together out there. The guys’ gloomy mood filled me with sorrow. I went to the gym and started to do exercise. Although Daniel and Sarah were going to leave us, and everybody were probably thinking about them, I was dreaming about Eve. Sometimes, Eve came to my mind, then I would work with heavier weights at a quick rate so that I could forget her.
In the evening, we gathered at the main hall to bid farewell to Sarah and Daniel. William and Sarah were still together hand in hand. Sarah said, “This decision made by the company has no effect on the relationship between William and me. I’ll continue my cooperation with the company. By the time I can join you, I will try my best for the love of you and William.”
Eve hugged her before everybody else and said, “I'm waiting for you, my dear.” Thereafter, we all said goodbye to her one after the other.
Daniel said, “To tell you the truth, I had already known that I had this problem, I was worried that I found myself in that situation, and now I have decided to go back home. Although I enjoyed myself in the last week, I continually thought about my father and mother.”
Listening to the remarks made by Daniel with his portly body changed my opinions about him. I told myself his problem was found. “How naive I was that I wanted to ask help from Daniel whenever I would be about to give up!”