Chapter 18

"Happy birthday, Meera!" Raj yelled over the static on the telephone. It was Sunday, April 9th, and Meera had just turned 24.

"Thanks," she murmured, smiling. "When are you coming home?"

"I miss you too, sis. Just hang on for another week, okay? I should be there late Saturday. Anything you want from here? Perfumes, chocolates ... you name it. Just don't ask me to get you brassieres like Amma does. The woman has absolutely no idea how embarrassing it is to walk up to a salesperson and ask for three different bra sizes ... for her, for Sarala Valiamma and for Jaya Akka. They probably think I'm some sort of pervert."

Meera laughed. "Relax. Just get home ... and try not to get lost on the way."

Raj chuckled, then suddenly his voice grew more solemn as he asked, "How's Kavitha doing?"

The smile vanished from her face as Meera closed her eyes and shook her head slowly. "Not too good. The funeral was almost two weeks ago and she hasn't left her room in all that time. She hardly talks, barely eats ... Sudha and I went over there a few times but all we end up doing is sit in a dimly lit room with her for two hours, just staring at the walls." She sighed and added, "I'm going over there again this afternoon. Even if she doesn't feel like talking, I want her to know that I'm there for her."

Meera spoke to Raj for a while longer then hung up, promising to meet him at the airport when he arrived. She carefully picked up the several containers of food that she had prepared and headed downstairs to her car. Jayashree had called the evening before and asked her to drop by the house this afternoon for an informal gathering to celebrate her birthday but Meera had politely declined. Somehow everything else seemed insignificant compared to what Kavitha was going through. That's when she had decided to spend the day with her friend instead.

Meera had promptly telephoned Kavitha's mother to inform her that she would be dropping by with lunch the following day.

"Just leave everything to me, Aunty," she had told her friend's mother. "You could use the rest."

"But it's your birthday ..." the older woman had protested.

"And I would like to spend it with you and Kavi, if that's okay with you," Meera had interposed. "Besides, you know how much I love to cook."

Mrs. Raman had readily agreed thereafter, more so because she would finally have someone to share a meal with in over a fortnight.

Meera got into her car and headed to Kavitha's house. She was halfway there when her cell phone rang. She had on her "hands-free' and so managed to answer on the second ring.

"Hello?" she said, keeping her eyes on the road.

"Hey, happy birthday."

Her breath caught involuntarily as she heard his voice. "Thanks," she said, then added, "So, how have you been?"

"Okay. And you?"

"Fine."

There was a moment's pause, and then Suresh said, "I'm sorry we didn't get a chance to speak at the funeral ... I didn't even know what to say to Kavitha ...How is she holding up?"

"Hanging in there," Meera said slowly. "I'm actually on my way to her place now."

"Oh ... Well, tell her I said ... that I ..." Suresh sighed. "I guess I still don't know what to say ..."

"It's okay," Meera said, her voice shaking. "I feel the same way."

"Okay ... Well, I guess I ..." His voice trailed away for a moment and then he said, "Well, happy birthday again. Keep well, Meera."