Chapter I

Introductory statement

I wouldn't like living in the Middle Ages, an era where women were not considered if not as breeding animals, but this is a reinvented Middle Age, historically inaccurate, just like the TV series on which it is based; nor am I an expert of Medieval history, therefore do not expect absolute precision about customs, traditions, technological possibilities or other things, peculiar of a professional. Also dates of real events are here different from History and follow instead those of the TV series.

Chapter I

The Holy Land, an abandoned village, 1194

Vaisey, Sheriff and Baron of Nottingham, was lurking behind the corner of a dusty building, in his hands a bow with a nocked arrow. It was hotter than hell, in this godforsaken abandoned village, at a short distance from Acre, and he was sweating profusely in his black clothes, furthermore adorned with a small cape of weasel fur.

He was waiting for King Richard Lionheart, determined to kill him once and for all, after a failed assassination attempt two years earlier, when he had sent Gisborne to do the dirty work and the latter had been stopped by Robin of Locksley timely intervention. As Vaisey was the chief commander of the Black Knights, the secret organisation Prince John had founded to get rid of his brother Richard to take the throne in his place, Vaisey had decided to take charge of the situation, so he would be nearer to his ultimate goal: England's throne, which he wanted for himself. After Richard's death, John would be proclaimed King of England, but being a weak, he would be easily overthrown and, at that point, being closely enough related to the Plantagenets, Vaisey would seize the crown...

The noise of hooves at a slow trot interrupted his thoughts; Vaisey held his breath, waiting to discover who it was, and a few moments later, he glimpsed the imposing shape of Richard of England, wrapped in his snow-white Crusader cloak, elegantly draped behind him on the mighty back of his warhorse. The sovereign had no chance to see him from that angle, and realising it, Vaisey sneered triumphantly: he bent his bow, taking aim accurately, then he released the arrow. It headed hissing towards Richard and drove into his shoulder. Vaisey cursed: he had aimed more to the centre, where the heart was located; in this position, the arrow wouldn't kill the Lionheart on the spot.

Richard arched backwards with a pained yell and then he bent over the neck of his destrier, but he managed not to fall; the horse went on trotting in the direction he had been steered earlier, leading him to an open space with a well at its centre. Here, the pain overwhelmed him and the proud sovereign felt his strengths fail and slipped from the saddle, falling face down on the scorching sand. He moved in the vain attempt to reach the arrow and tear it off his flesh, but the pain became unbearable and he lost consciousness.

At that very moment, from the other side of the open space, Sir Guy of Gisborne appeared in the arch between two houses, his hand on the hilt of his broadsword.

From the top of the staircase where she had been hiding, Lady Marian of Knighton had seen the king coming, strangely bent over his saddle; now, in horror she saw him falling to the ground and, at the same time, she glimpsed Gisborne. With an angry cry, she jumped out of her shelter.