Sueño

An Intro that lacks something.

The word of the day is “lack.” To lack: (La-ck) to be missing or not having enough of something. Ex: “Russia’s life lacked excitement.”  The big yellow bus was a beacon of the crushed hope that school would be cancelled for the day. As I stood waiting for it, I wondered how many excuses I could make not to get on it. “I have a doctor’s appointment.” “I’m sick.” “I’m sick of the other people who attend.” “I’m allergic to other people.”

The bus stopped infront of me before I could think of another.

“How are you today, Russia?” The bus wench growled.

“Good.” I muttered. The question was always the same, so the answer was always the same. I almost wished people would make war jokes about my name  but they never did. It was okay, though, I could avoid conversation that way. Other people and I agreed on one thing; avoiding each other. Russia was perfectly happy when Russia was alone. I made it through my classes. It was the same routine every day. Nothing new, nothing difficult, just nothing.

My darling sister was waiting for me when I arrived home. I passed her, trying to avoid her glare.

            “Russia.” Her tone was normal; annoyed valley girl.

“How can I assist you, my dear France?” I turned around and smiled sarcastically at her.

She rolled her eyes and sighed, talking at a barley audible pace, “So like this dance recital, are you going? I mean you’re my sister and you can like come if you want.”

I looked at her blankly and blinked. “You have a recital?”

She huffed a “whatever.” and stomped outside, slamming the door.

Oh-okay? I thought, confused. This happened a lot with my sister, France. She would ask something vague, I would get confused and she’d storm off. It was a game we played, often. I decided that sleeping would be the best option. Unfortunately my mother did not. I started to head for my room when I heard the dreaded call.

“RUSSIA!”

The words pierced my ears like bullets piercing a pillow. I pretended to have missed it and kept walking. She fired the gun again, louder this time.

“RUSSIA!”

There was no escaping it. I had been shot. I spun around and slapped the best smile I could on my face. Then I walked outside. She was sitting in the driveway, parked. France was sitting in the passenger seat, bawling.

“Mother dear?” I smiled sweetly at her.

“I just had a talk with your sister and she told me you said you didn’t want to attend her recital. Why do you always have to be like this? Why can’t you ever support your sister?”

My sister scowled at me and nodded. Her makeup was streaming down her face.

I looked at her, puzzled. “I never said-“ She didn’t let me finish.

“You know what? Never mind. Don’t go. Next time you want us to attend something or do something for you, it’s an automatic no. Now we’re going to be late and your sister has to redo her dance makeup, because YOU made her cry. Bye.” She yelled, then rolled up the window and sped down the driveway. Part of me felt that I should be surprised that she did this, but, it happened all of the time. So I wasn’t surprised. Whenever France and I would play this game, Mother took the side of France. In our house the powers were divided unevenly. Mother took the side of France and the poor little Russia girl was on her own. I would have Dad on my side or as the neutral party, but he was never home.

The good news that was I could sleep, uninterrupted for at least four hours now. That sleeping idea was starting to sound better and better. I flopped onto my bed and turned on the tv. I was so tired but I couldn't sleep.

“Hello.” That was the friendliest hello I had ever heard. I stood up, dizzy.  I looked at the woman at the booth, carefully.  She smiled again, “Hello. Welcome to Sueño do you have a pass?”

“A what?” I asked.

The landscape surrounding me was mostly blank. In front of me was a huge gated structure. The sign on it read: “Sueño” with a swiggly over the n. I assumed it was another language.

“I apologize. I will repeat.  Do you have a pass into Sueño?” The woman’s expression never changed.  Still having no idea what she was talking about, I just shook my head.

The woman’s voice turned to a growl and her expression angry, “I'm sorry, I cannot help you. Goodbye.” And she was gone. I stood staring at the empty booth. Where did she go? I thought, looking around. She was in the booth and suddenly she dissintegrated. I became scared. What if I do the same? Why did she look so angry?

Where did I go?  Examining my surroundings did little use. Nothing was familiar, I didn’t even know how I got here. There was no one else around. I started to walk away from “Sueño.” It didn’t matter how far I went, the landscape was the same. There was endless white ahead of me, to my right and to my left. It was like I was a drawing stuck in a world of endless computer paper.  I started to panic. “Am  I losing it? Maybe I wasn’t walking fast enough.”  I began to run. “Sueño” got smaller and smaller behind me, but the other landscape wasn’t changing. I ran faster. How the hell am I supposed to get home? I was running as fast as I could but I wasn’t losing my breath. Suddenly, I was in my room. I saw myself laying there. “Am I…dead?”