Chapter Twenty+Nine

It was almost seven O'clock when the gates buzzed open and Olumide pulled the silver-grey Pengine Ionia into their driveway.

He immediately realized that the porch lights weren't on yet, same as any other outdoor light and he thought it was strange, since he could clearly see that the inside was lit.

Why hadn't nobody turned the lights on? God, it was getting dark here.

He suddenly became aware that someone was banging on the glass. It was Eniiyi, she must have been the one that buzzed him in. She was shouting something at him but he couldn't hear a thing, the car was still soundproof.

He rolled down the glass so he could hear what she was saying.

'. . . Why?' was all he caught.

'What's wrong, Pumpkin Pie?'

The girl pouted when she realized when she realized he hadn't heard anything she had said.

'Daddy,' she whined instead and tucked her face through the open window.

He tweaked her nose and chuckled. 'What did you say?'

'I said, why isn't Lastborn with you? I thought you'd bring him back.' She turned down the corners of her mouth and gave him sad eyes.

He raised an eyebrow. 'Why do you think I took him to the village?'

'But . . . but I thought you'd convince his wicked daddy to let him come.'

'No, that didn't happen. But I've got good news, step back, will you? So I can open the door.'

Eniiyi obeyed and waited for him to get out before attacking him with questions again.

'What's the good news, Daddy? Daddy, is he coming tomorrow? Daddy!'

'Be patient, Pea Blossom. I'm not telling you till we get into the house.'

'You're not nice,' she murmured.

Mide shook his head at her, smiling. 'I got you something.'

Her eyes lit up again. 'What?' Before he could answer, she ran back to the car and peered into the backseat. 'Where is it?'

Still smiling, he dipped his hand into his trouser pocket and came up with a small, yellow nylon bag.

'Since you used to say your headphones were uncomfortable.'

Eniiyi collected the package from him and gingerly extracted a square flat case from it. Her eyes widened as the transparent top came to light. 'You got me ear pods!'

'They're more portable,' Mide said, shrugging.

She ran to hug him. 'Thanks, Daddy.'

'You're welcome, Adekunbi.' He picked her up and twirled her around.

'Put me down!' she squealed. 'Put me down!'

Mide put her down and then made a show of nursing his aching biceps. 'Gosh, you're getting heavy.'

Eniiyi rolled her eyes. 'I'm nine years old.'

'Yes, ma'am.' He took her hand and they headed for the porch together.

'Why did nobody turn on the outdoor lights?' he asked.

'I wanted to, but then you arrived at the gate and I went for the gate control.'

'Oh. Where's your mom?'

'Upstairs,' Eniiyi mumbled. 'I don't know what she's doing. She just cooked dinner and went up and wouldn't really talk.'

It reminded Mide of her mood earlier and the way she'd been far away since yesterday and he sighed.

He had this one to deal with today.

'When did Femi leave?' he asked as he made his way up the stairs with his daughter.

'I'm not sure, I think past four. He said he was going to call you.'

'Oh. Yeah, he did. But I didn't ask if he was home yet or still here.'

'Mommy's in her room, I think. I saw her enter here.' Eniiyi pushed open the door to Eartha's room but it was as dark as it was empty.

Mide shrugged, knowing she must be in their room. Why would she stay there, anyways? She hardly ever slept there.

So he continued to their room, Eniiyi close behind him.

When he reached the room, he found her sitting on the hammock directly opposite the bed, typing furiously at her phone.

She looked slightly surprised at seeing him and Mide thought he saw fear in her eyes too. She gingerly dropped from the basket and licked at her lips.

Strange, Mide thought. No welcome? Whatever is bothering her?

He noticed boxes lying about. Why were boxes everywhere? What was happening?

'Dandelion Fluff—'

'Mide, I'm getting a divorce.'