Chapter 21

Autumn woke up feeling like a new woman. She couldn't quite pinpoint what was different, but there was something in the crisp fall air. She felt happy, confident, raring to go. Oh wait, I know what's different, I'm no longer single anymore. I have my first ever boyfriend. She smiled to herself. It was going to be a good day.
Canadian Thanksgiving morning started out both familiarly and unfamiliarly. Autumn began the morning relaxing in bed, something she always did on holiday days. She fired a quick text off to her mom, and found a thanksgiving entry on her new favorite blog, and laid back in her bed for a read. 'The nights have been getting colder, bringing out the reds and yellows in the maples, making some of them almost neon. Frost is still to come here but the Golden Delicious were cold to the touch this morning, making my hands partially numb for the first hour of picking. By mid-morning the sweater was peeled off and by lunch I was in a t-shirt, welcoming the rays of what I might consider an almost perfect October day. This is the kind of fall weather I like, the late afternoons are cool, the mornings chilly and the colors of the maples are absolutely exquisite. Many of the apple trees have also begun to turn a burnt golden, creating a great contrast with the dark reds and purples of the apples remaining among their branches. Those apples that somehow hid behind the leaves in September can no longer camouflage themselves among the leaves that now so exquisitely complimented their hue.
Below some of the apple trees lie a blanket of overripe apples, which makes picking difficult. Scrambling between trees with a half full picking bucket while walking on a layer of partially decomposing apples is like trying to keep your balance on marbles. The pungent smell of vinegar wafts up occasionally greeting your nose with an odor that reminds one of the cyclic nature of life. When you go to dump your apples into the bin you often discover that the number of leaves that have fallen into your bag often outnumbers the apples.
After a morning of Golden Delicious, we moved into the two rows of Ida Red. They were big and easy to see compared to the Golden Delicious which have a habit of hiding in the thick foliage. Picking the Idas always marks a turn toward the end of the season. With only a few more weeks of picking left, the orchard is already beginning to look bare. Or maybe it only feels bare to me, knowing that I don't have that many picking days left myself. Although many are on the ground, there is still a good number of Empires left on the trees, probably most of a week's work. There are still more Golden Delicious, Fuji, Rome and of course Gold Rush left to pick as well. Each apple that is placed in my picking bucket and is a reminder of the fleeting nature of the season. I begin to find a comfort in the sight of a tree that still has apples on it, but I also have an awareness that this harvest season, like all others before it, will end. What a wonderful reason to enjoy every picking day that is left.
Geese flew over my head many times today, rounding up any last stragglers as they make their journey south. One small V would fly over, then a few minutes later a larger one would appear from the direction in which the first disappeared. There is talk of frost soon, although I have my doubts. I went home tonight with my hands full of cider, a jar of grape jelly from a co-worker and a picking bucket of heirloom apples. It was one of those moments where it struck me how wonderful the season is and how lucky I am to be blessed with the chance to do this.'
What was different was rather than her mother calling her down for breakfast, it was Harvey, her new boyfriend, who came into her room, handing her a steaming hot mug of spiced cider with a festive sprinkle of cinnamon and brown sugar for her to drink in bed. But not only did he have that, but a full spread of delicious breakfast goodies on a tray. "Good morning,"
"Hello there boyfriend," she could not resist saying it, the words causing smiles on both of their faces. "Happy Canadian Thanksgiving,"
"To you as well, girlfriend," He had already set the tray down on the table, and popped a mini-cinnamon crepe into his mouth. "So here's the plan, we'll go to the village and Fallfest right away this morning, come back for lunch with the family, and then get ready for the party tonight." He relayed through a bite of his second goody, a pumpkin muffin. Autumn grabbed an apple Danish from the tray.
Thirty minutes later, Autumn found herself heading to Fallfest. Harvey glanced over at Autumn, who was wearing her dress coat, as she called it. She had left her hair down, showcasing the rose gold color which flowed around her face like an angel's aura. They passed through Orchardfield village, whose tiny tree-lined Main Street had been closed to traffic and further up, Autumn could see the entrance to the festival. Harvey found a parking spot and they got out of the car and walked up the Main Street, whose period lighting lamp posts had been decorated with wreaths of fall leaves, studded with corn and gourds, and tied on with orange and yellow ribbons. Fairy lights were strung both across the street, and from lamppost to lamppost, and Autumn could imagine how beautiful it would look lit up at night.
They passed the greengrocer's window full of apples, oranges and other produce, rare cuts of meat and fowl hanging up in the butcher's storefront, the small bank, and Herbsthaus the German restaurant. They stopped at the Sweet Shoppe to take a look at some of the 300 different candies available. They had even themed their window display with orange, yellow, brown, red and gold candies for fall. Harvey pointed to parts of the store that displayed old-fashioned hard-flavored candies, gummies and lollipops, "I used to buy those as a kid for nickels and dimes apiece."
They continued a little ways up the road, past some more festive displays in the toy shop and souvenir shop, right up to the main entry to Fallfest:, an arch spanning the street, covered with small light bulbs arranged around images of scarecrows, apples, horn of plenties, corns on the cob, pumpkins and colourful leaves.
"For the final weekend of the festival, they build a big scarecrow in the market square, up that way in front of the church." He gestured, "They decorate it kind of like a fall themed Christmas tree and light it up too. It's quite something," he sounded happy, his cheeks flushed in the cool air. "Back when I was a kid, the end of the festival was a big bonfire where they would burn it down- but nowadays the end is celebrated with fireworks."
Orchardfield's Fallfest was so well-known, it drew visitors from all over the state, and sometimes beyond. And for its opening weekend- Canadian Thanksgiving weekend, Orchardfield changed to one of the region's premier tourist destinations. The normally sleepy little village would buzz with excitement from then until real Thanksgiving.
"In we go," Harvey pulled her under the arch, his eyes glittering with excitement.
In no time, he had gotten them each a steaming cup of hot apple cider and an 'apfelringe' - a deep fried apple ring on top of pumpkin ice cream from one of the first stalls. "Just for starters," they dug in, standing at one of the bar tables and drinking up the light and color of the festival.
They walked through market stalls selling bags of fudge and confectionery, homemade jams and jellies - they sampled the quince paste before buying a couple of pots - maple syrup and other maple products, knitted scarfs, hats and blankets, handmade arts and crafts, lots of hot food and drinks. Harvey waved to some of the stall holders as they walked through, stopping occasionally to say hello.
"My favorite stall is just there," he pointed.
"Mcintosh's Orchards!" Autumn exclaimed at the beautiful display of apples. There were sacks of apples for sale, in addition to apple juice, jars of applesauce, apple pies to take home and bake and caramel apples. "My mother organises this stall- it's a fundraiser for the elementary school actually. She even prepares the pies herself, " there was a even a little apple tasting corner competition, where if you guessed three of the varieties correctly, you could win a small bag of freshly-picked apples.
"I don't think it would exactly be fair for you to do that, would it?"
"But you can!" His eyes twinkled.
"Ok, let's try it!"
One of the students working the stall handed over pieces of apple on numbered sticks. "Thanks! What's your name?" Autumn asked.
"Gloria,"
"Could you get all of these, Gloria?"
"I think so, but I have been practicing."
"So have I," she raised her eyebrows at Harvey in a knowing look. Autumn took her first piece and examined the skin: "Bright, green skin with some little white spots, bright white flesh." She bit into it, "ooh crisp, very sour! A little juicy. Sweet finish. Easy: Granny Smith! You knew that without tasting it, didn't you?" Harvey nodded, nonetheless impressed.
"Number two: yellow- orangey skin with pink and reddish stripes. Flesh is a little yellow. I'm not sure." She bit into the piece. "Sweet and crisp." She looked at Harvey for support.
"You know this one for sure!"
"Gala?"
"Yes!" Harvey burst out, unable to contain his excitement, and was there a bit of pride in there as well? "Last one."
Gloria handed over a third toothpick. "Red and green skin. White flesh. Don't know how to describe the taste other than appley. But I know what it is! It's a McIntosh!!" She announced with a flourish.
"Right you are, here's your prize." Gloria said, handing over a bag of apples.
"No that's ok Gloria, you keep my apples, but I would like to buy two caramel apples!"
She had a big smile as she picked out two caramel apples and looked so beautiful his mouth went dry as he stared at her, anchored in place as others brushed around him, music blaring and people laughing. His trance was only broken when she came bounding back, thrusting a caramel apple into his hands. "I don't know what variety they are, but these looked too delicious to pass by!"
"You did so well! I'm so proud of you!" He pulled her in for a hug. They munched happily on their apples, continuing towards the other side of the village, where the festival opened up into the local school's field: autumn spotted a corn maze and hayrides. There was also a big banner hung across the posts at school ground's gate reading: Welcome to Orchardfield Village Home of Fallfest, and underneath that, a smaller sign read McIntosh Competitions this way. They entered the field under the banner.
The McIntosh competitions were a major part of the annual festival: each weekend a competition had different festival-goers as contestants. Autumn looked at the board - there was;
McIntosh Couples Competition
McIntosh Family Competition,
McIntosh Kids Competition and
McIntosh Individuals Competition.
"We're just in time and I'm entering!" Harvey cut her a glance.
"You're what?"
"I'm entering us! It should be fun!"
"You don't even know what it involves!" Harvey protested.
"Doesn't matter! We're gonna win! I have a secret weapon!"
"What's that?"
"My very own Mcintosh," she squeezed his hand.
The McIntosh family in fact were donors to the festival, and sponsored the series of Competitions, hence the name. "So it's settled, we're doing it,"
Autumn raced over to sign them up, and it was not long until all the contestants emerged on the stage. To Autumn's great surprise, the MC of the event was Graham Mcintosh, who winked at her as they made eye contact. He greeted the crowd "Hey Fallfest! Are you ready for the McIntosh couple competition?" The crowd cheered.
"I can't hear you! I said, Are. You. Ready. For. The. McIntosh Couple Competition?" once finished with his warm up, He introduced all nine of the participating couples to the crowd, Harvey and Autumn, having just registered moments before, we're couple number nine.
"The rules for the first task are simple! Couples you will run through the corn maze, collect a basket of corn hidden somewhere inside and get back to the stage with all of the corn in your bucket intact. The last three couples to get back to the stage with their be eliminated before the next round. couples, do you understand?" The nine couples nodded. "Good because there's a catch! Your ankles will be tied together!" He said, to supportive applause and cheers from the crowd, just as some student helpers appeared on stage to tie the couples' ankles together. "Once you're ready, head down to the starting line in front of the maze!"
The couples all struggled to get down the stairs while tied to their partners, and the crowd laughed heartily when one of the teachers from the school and his partner toppled over before even getting off the stage.
When all of the couples had lined up around the corn maze, Graham shouted out the words, "on your mark, get set, go."
Autumn and Harvey took off at full tilt, and promptly fell on their faces in the mud. Standing up sputtering out dirt and laughing, they hurried on into the maze in search of their baskets, not the only ones who fell at the start, as couple number three kept slipping as they tried to get up. The crowd was loving it.

A few minutes later, the first couple emerged with their basket of corn to the cheers and applause of the spectators. Then the second, and the third. no sign of Harvey and Autumn. The fourth and the fifth and sixth couples also emerged and finally, Harvey and Autumn exited the maze, holding a basket, and absolutely covered in mud, with the biggest grins on their faces. They were in peals of uncontrollable laughter as they made their way up to the stage, depositing their basket down, as the eighth couple followed closely behind them. Couple number three, the muddiest of the bunch exited the maze without a basket, but hurried on stage with big smiles nonetheless.

Graham made the announcement "If your basket contains five pieces of corn, you're headed to the next round!" Student helpers counted out the cobs in each basket. "Oh no! Devastating news for couple number two, who do not have enough corns on the cob to move on to the next round. That means couple nine, you're back in the competition! Let's hear it for our top six!" Harvey and Autumn waved to everyone.

"Next up we have the scarecrow dressing competition. This time, the couple's hands will be tied together!" As he spoke, some of the festival helpers - high school students - took the wraps off from around the contestants' ankles, and wrapped them around their wrists.
"Couples must collect their scarecrows clothes from over there, one piece at a time and run back to their scarecrow, getting him dressed! Once the shirt, overalls and hat are on the scarecrow, the couples should hurry back on stage here. Once again, the last three couples will be eliminated from the competition. Fallfest are we ready? Couples are we ready? On your mark, set, go!"

The couples took off again, running to grab their scarecrow's clothing. Harvey and Autumn moved as quickly as they could, focusing intently on the task at hand. They went for shirt first, overalls next and hat last, got their scarecrow dressed in just enough time to edge out three couples and proceed to the final round.
The competition in the top three included Joe, the only full-time police officer from Orchardfield Village and his wife Judy, and Eric and Caroline, who were students, and just visiting the festival for the weekend. "Alright Fallfest, we have our top three! In the third and final stage, each contestant will be spun around three times, and they must then bob for apples in one of these three tubs. The first couple to bob four apples (two apples for each person) and drop them into the apple picking bucket will be our McIntosh Couple Competition Champion, taking home one of everything from McIntosh Orchards Festival Stall - that includes apple pies, apple jam, apple sauce, you name it, if it's apples, they've got it!"
"All contestants ready?" The crowd burst into cheers and whistles as the contestants tried to regain their balance after the spinning. "On your mark, set, go!"
Harvey shook his head, trying to rid himself of the dizziness from the spinning, and slowly took a step towards the apple bath. His face hit the water. Not a Moment later, Autumn got her first apple out, dropping it into their basket, and heading back to the tub for her second, which she secured in another instant. A roar came up from the crowd. They were winning, all Harvey needed to do was get his apples. Harvey bobbed, and bobbed face fully in the water, but he just could not get his teeth into one of the apples. His face fully in the water, he heard his father's announcement "Congratulations to Eric and Caroline Fallfest's McIntosh Couple Competition Champions!" Harvey gave up, standing up, absolutely soaking wet, with a grin on his face. "Sorry! But not sorry. I don't feel bad about losing at all. I haven't had that much fun in a long time." He said to her, despite not feeling bad at all for letting her down, planting a wet kiss right on her mouth.
The three couples shook each other's hands, and Caroline and Eric were handed a plastic trophy in the shape of an apple tree, which they held above their heads triumphantly, as well as a basket of apple goodies. "And that concludes this year's Fallfest McIntosh Couple's Competition. See you all next week for the Family Competition!"
"You almost won!" Gloria said when they walked past the stall again. "Yeah, that was so much fun"
"Well you did really well! Bye, you guys," A little high on their competition participation, Harvey and Autumn, clothes still wet and covered in mud, floated back to their car holding hands. Autumn hadn't felt this happy since her dad was alive.