Visiting Dally

The smell of bacon and eggs awaken me and it takes me some time to find the suspicion in all of this. First off, why would my apartment smell like breakfast if I’m still in bed? I also don’t even remember going into my bedroom, the last thing I remember is laying on the ground, my sobs finally wearing me out.

I start to panic. Who is in my apartment? Maybe its a burglar, but why would he move me to my bed and cook? I hear someone coming to my bedroom door and I quickly look for a weapon. My nightstand has a few magazines, a box of tissues, and a small table lamp. I grab the lamp as the intruder opens the door...

"Sodapop Patrick Curtis! What is wrong with you and how did you get into my apartment?" I shriek at him.

The look on his face was surprised at first but then it turns comical. "What? Can’t your best friend come and cook you breakfast? What’s up with the lamp?" He nudges his head towards the purple lamp and sets down my tray of breakfast on the table beside me.

"Never mind that. How’d you get in here?" I question as I grab the tray and take a bite of toast.

"Don’t you remember after you got out of the hospital Darry had you give him a spare key in case of an emergency?" Sodapop sets down in the bed and takes a strip of bacon.

I think for a moment. A lot had been going on at that time it was kind of all a blur. Also, being on three different medications doesn’t help. "Oh yeah, I guess I forgot."

"Can I ask you something Jessica?" He asks me suddenly serious.

"Sure."

"What were you doing on the floor last night? I came in and almost stepped on you." He jokes half-hearted.

I look around for an answer. "I’m not sure, I guess I was just tired or something and collapsed."

"Are you sure?" He doubts. "You’re eyes are all puffy, were you crying?" I put the tray of breakfast aside, suddenly not hungry. "Come on Jess, you can tell me."

I don’t answer. Instead, I let him wrap his arms around me in a much needed hug. A few stray tears escape my eyes. "I’ve just been going through a lot lately."

"I know Jess, I know. You don’t have to explain."

I look up to him. "Thanks Soda."

"Anytime."

A few hours later I’m standing in front of the Tulsa jail. A shudder goes down through my spine as I think about the type of people in there. Bad people, robbers, thieves, maybe even murderers. Dallas doesn’t belong with them, I know him. He has a soft side, somewhere underneath all that leather and hatred.

After I’m inside and I check in, a guard leads me down a series of hallways to the visiting area. It’s quiet, except for the sound of my high heels clanking on the hard floor. I’m wearing a nice purple dress, in a way it is kind of a Soc dress, but there’s a belt that shows off my curves. I decided to dress up to try to impress Dallas. Maybe he’ll think I’ve healed and I’m not a weak, defenseless little girl anymore. That might help him not be so bitter about what happened.

"Winston, your visitor is here. You got a half hour." A guard on the other side of the glass says to Dally. I can’t see them, but I hear footsteps and their voices getting closer.

"A visitor? If it’s Buck or Tim I don’t wanna see them. They just wanna make my life worse." I hear Dallas tell the guard.

"It’s a girl this time." He tells him simply.

Finally I see Dally. He’s wearing a prison suit, but that’s the only thing different about him. They must’ve let him keep his hair long, and it has some greasiness to it. "Oh Dallas." I stand up from my seat and put my hand on the glass.

"Jessica, what are you doing here?" He tries playing it cool with a tuff guy attitude, but the smile on his face shows he’s happy to see me.

I sit down in the chair and so does he. "I wanted to see you Dally. I’m missing you like crazy."

"I’ve been missing you too baby, I just didn’t think you’d actually come down here and see me." He leans back in his chair and puts his feet on the table. "You look nice."

I know that’s Dally’s way of saying ‘beautiful’. Usually he calls me hot, or even sexy. Nice is as affectionate as he can get.

"Thank you babe. You look a lot better than I thought you would, you know being in... this place." For some reason, I can’t say "jail" out loud. It just doesn’t seem real.

"Put your feet down Winston." The guard says. I forgot he was even there. Dallas just rolls his eyes and puts his feet down only after the guard threatens to revoke visiting privileges.

"So how’s the gang doing?" He asks.

"Um, fine I guess. Nothing different than before really. They miss you though, especially Johnny and Two Bit and even Ponyboy."

"I’ll be back before they know it." He mumbles. "It’s happened before."

"You shouldn’t even be in here, its not fair."

"Yeah, life ain’t fair. You learn that when your someone like me." Dallas looks away from me and fixates his glare to something in the distance.

"I better get going Dally, I have to go grocery shopping, and then I have a doctors appointment." I get up from my chair. "I love you."

He stands up and a guard comes over to escort him back. "Love you too Jess. Once I get out of here, I promise I’ll take care of you better." Then just like that he’s gone, out of my reach.