The Great Escape

Tucking a small bit of your hair behind your ear, you smiled gently as you shyly fluttered your eyes. "I am very sorry to say this, gentlemen, however, I am not quite sure how to thank you."

The guards, with piles upon piles of books stacking high in their arms, peered their heads from around the heaps, flickering slight foolish smiles.

"There is no need, Lady Nova." Geir began. "It is my absolute pleasure."

"Our." Halvor interrupted as he frowned at his companion then again smiling back at you. "It is our pleasure."

"Ah... ah yes. Our."

You chuckled, shaking your head. "You two are quite a pair."

The men chuckled, the books in their hands trembling and almost falling from their grasp.

"Now, Halvor, Geir, do you remember the organization I described?"

"We do, miss." Geir nodded. "Biographies must be organized according to alphabetical order. The fiction must be placed on the second story of the library and precisely on the thirty-fourth shelf."

"Thirty-fifth shelf, not thirty-fourth."  Halvor continued as Geir glared at him. "And the maps and astronomy must be back on the Queen's desk in the southern wing by twilight."

You grinned. "Very nice, gentlemen. I can understand how the prince thinks so highly of both of you."

They both grinned, amused and excited that the prince and spoken of them.

"Oh and I suppose I should give you my key," you slipped your hand into your pocket and pulled it out. ", as per our agreement."

"Yes." Halvor delayed as he set his pile of books down and walked over to you. "Yes, of course."

You watched carefully as he took the key from your hand and held it up to the torchlights to properly observe it. He raised his brow as he looked down on you innocently rocking back and forth on your heels.

"And you will stay in your chambers?"

You chuckled. "I very well cannot escape over the balcony."

He nodded his head seemingly convinced. He slipped the key onto a hook upon his belt with the various others he held. Along with an exact copy of yours he had received from Birger.

"Well... gentlemen," You hesitantly stated with a timid chuckle. "I feel that although you contend otherwise, It would be only decent of me to thank you."

"Miss, you are too kind. However, it would be inappropriate to accept anything."

"Oh but I insist." you cooed as you stepped just a bit closer to the guard and his pile of books. "Geir, thank you so very much for your help."

You swallowed the large lump rising in your throat and stood on your toes, placing a slow yet emotionless kiss upon his cheek. You could feel him stiffen, his gaze looking straight on. He smelled of fish and liquor and with your lips on his cheek, you scrunched your nose in disgust.

As soon as your lips left his cheek, you stepped away and turned your eyes to the floor. You wanted to cough and rid yourself of the demeaning feeling.

However, you needed to.... thank... both men for it to work.

Turning your gaze up to Halvor, he stood in his own state of shock with his book now in his arms. You smirked, strutting up to him. "And you as well," You grabbed his collar as it stuck out of his armor and pulled him down to your eye line. He stiffened in your grip. "Halvor."

You stood tall, once again kissing the other guard's cheek. He froze just as Geir did, his eyes facing straight forward as his cheeks darkened with color. You took a moment in the kiss, utilizing both guard's moment of shock to take back your key and switch it for one that would only open a broom and mop closet a few steps down. Letting your lips linger, you pulled away and slipped the key into your pocket.