Chapter 2: Destiny Awaits

Was it left?

Or was it right?

I continue to mentally debate the path to go down, forgetting what I told myself on my way as the two paths look identical somehow, getting me into this predicament. I pick up a stick from the ground and throw it in the air, seeing which path the stick will land. The stick lands on one of the paths with a soft thud, finally having a decision made.

Left

So I took the right path which leads up the mountain I was told Akito found me. I follow the path, slowly ascending the tall hill in front of me before the actual challenge. It's trees almost double the height of the trees back at the forest, not as much bushes, a lot of fallen leaves and a peaceful atmosphere.

'Ugh..I hate you stick.. '

I then begin to ascend the mountain itself, the sun, almost halfway in the sky, continues to shine it's light in the blue sky. I slowly bring one foot over the other as I climb the large mountain, my breathing ever so slightly hitching from the air getting thinner every step I take upwards.

Every once in a while, I would almost trip over some wood or almost slip on the piles of wet leaves. If I remember correctly, Final Selection starts at moon rise in a couple of days at Mountain Fujikasane.

Oh look, butterflies, the first thing I saw when I woke up on this mountain. I was told it's rare to see butterflies up on this mountain meaning something. I shake my head and focus on climbing this tall obstacle in my way.

Soon, day became night and the journey up is almost complete, with one final push, I will overcome this mountain, gaining the reward of the beautiful scenery as I stand at the peak. I look in front of me, seeing the many mountains and forests but one specific mountain probably catches everyone's attention. Off in the distance is a large mountain, glowing purple from the base to halfway up the mountain.

That must be Mt. Fujikasane, where the Final Selection is being held. I breathe in and exhale, happy that I know where my target location is and take out my water-skin, drinking some of the fresh water before putting it away.

Now that I think about it, I wonder what the village looks like from up here. I turn around, seeing the lights from the small village down below looking beautiful as ever. How's Akito and Ichika doing I wonder...I hope they're fine.

I sit down beside a tree and stare at my target, slowly my eyes close as I drift off into my sleep, hoping nothing would kill me or no demons to appear when I wake up. Please, don't let that happen gods.

☆ ☆ ☆

The moon shines bright above me and the others around me, the trees continue to glow purple from the leaves and the people are very silent, weird. Some have weird bright hair like this one guy, long yellow and red hair which hurts my eyes while others adorn elegant kimono like this one lady with butterflies or another with flowers.

Two little women then appear in front of the two red pillars. One with short black hair and the other with short white hair, both have swirl-like eyes and being the same height as the other which is extremely short.

☆ ☆ ☆

I wake up from my dream, memory fragment, whatever you want to call it. Maybe I can get some answers from the two small women, they appeared two times so far in my memories. I get up from my spot and stretch, yawning as I do so. I look up to the sky, seeing only the grey clouds covering the once blue sky.

Hmm, it might rain then or be really windy. I look forward, still seeing the barely visible purple hue of the trees off in the distance. I then open and grab a large cloth from my box on my waist and unfold it, seeing six large rice balls. Thank you, Ichika!