>four

"Zhong Chenle."

"You amaze me," Mark sighs, shaking his head disapprovingly. "Sure you weren't born in the modern days?"

"Died in the 80's, sorry babe," Renjun smirks. "My brain is just so big."

"Your brain is dead," Donghyuck deadpans, getting a closer look at what Renjun is showing them on his laptop. "Jen's right, he does look like a mushroom."

"Wait till you see that other fucker," Jeno grumbles, dissecting the photo before his eyes. "What the fuck? Why does he look familiar too?"

"Uh," Donghyuck starts, snorting. "Because you've been seeing him hang around your angel?"

"Don't know, just a thought," Renjun sighs. "Seriously Jen, is your brain that slow today?"

"First of all, you guys are assholes," Jeno announces, glaring at the two of them. "Second of all, no that's not what I mean. It feels like I personally know this... Zhong Chenle character."

"You sound pensive." Mark comments. "And that probably hurts your brain, doesn't it?"

"Hyung," Jeno whines.

"Kidding. But same feeling you get when you look at Jaemin? Or different?"

"Different," Jeno admits. "I feel like I know Jaemin, but I feel like I just know Chenle. You know?"

"Did you make it past tenth grade before you died? That sentence doesn't make any sense." Donghyuck guffaws, constantly one to batter and bully Jeno to the ends of the Earth.

"That's a low blow man, I don't even know when I died," Jeno sighs. "Whatever— That's not important. Next step is finding a way to talk to Jaemin."

Donghyuck snickers.

"Dad's gonna have your head on a stick."

"Dad's not gonna found out," Jeno sneers, referring to Satan the way the latter asked him to. Something about him being the favorite and like a second son to him. Not that Jeno's complaining, it comes with its perks. "And you're not telling him."

Donghyuck puts his hands up in surrender, seeming a bit too smug. But then again, he's 100% demon blood, so Jeno doesn't really know when he isn't being smug, cocky or arrogant.

"I can keep a secret." He insists. "But on a real note, how are you gonna get sweet angel Jaemin to talk to you?"

Jeno didn't think that far ahead, hence why he's asking for the other's input.

The thing is, that Jeno thinks Jaemin's seen him a few times. He's probably familiar with the gaze that's always lingering on his back, always feels the eyes on him. So actually going up to Jaemin shouldn't be that big of a feat, Jaemin probably already knows his face.

Talking, however, is what poses the issue. Would an angel want to talk to him? Lee Jeno, with ink covering the entirety of one of his arms, and then some peeking out from other parts of his body. Lee Jeno, the demon who keeps his hair white so that the red of his eyes really pops. Lee Jeno, who's always decked out in black, often wearing the nastiest scowl he can muster.

Would an angel want to even be near him?

The thought doesn't make him insecure; he's a demon, this is who he is. And he loves who he is, self positivity, self love, all that bullshit. He also thinks he's pretty hot, so he's not scared of anything like that. He also has a pretty banging personality once you push past all his exterior stuff, but that's besides the point.

The point is he doesn't know if Jaemin is going to have that stereotypical demon stigma when it comes to him. He wouldn't blame him if he does, since he's an angel after all. And Jeno would be lying if he said he didn't have any sort of stigma around Jaemin just because he was an angel too.

He's just wondering how it would all go down. Will Jaemin shut Jeno down and not wanna talk because he's a demon? Or is everything Jeno feeling not one sided? Does Jaemin feel it too?

He's snapped out of his thoughts however, by Renjun who throws his phone at him. It hits Jeno's shoulder, and he's ready to curse Renjun out, but then he sees what's displayed on his phone screen.

"That's Park Jisung." Renjun announces.

"Damn you were right. Those two really are mushroom headasses." Donghyuck laughs, having Mark join in once he sees Jisung on the phone screen.

Jeno, however, feels time stop.

He can't hear anything besides the thoughts running wild in his head, can't even hear Mark and Donghyuck's obnoxious laughs. The only thing he can process right now is Jisung's face. His chubby cheeks, his small eyes, his tall build and his ridiculous bowl cut.

He's seen him before.

And it's not around Jaemin.

He's seen him in a library. In a hallway. In a McDonald's. In a classroom. Seen him in a park, in a pool, in a bedroom—

He's seen Jisung before.

He's seen Jisung before he died.

"Hey Jen? Why are you breathing so heavy?" Mark asks, seeming somewhat worried with how Jeno's breathing picks up. "Is he that ugly?" He jokes, trying to lighten the atmosphere.

Jeno doesn't say anything.

Instead, he hands Renjun his phone back, and gulps before looking up at all his friends.

"Park Jisung. His birthday is February 5th. He likes instant noodles but he hates spicy food. He lives in California. He was born there but his family is Korean. He's an only child. He died in a house break in. Shot in the head."

Donghyuck is gaping at him. Mark is stunned into silence, and Renjun keeps opening and closing his mouth like a fish out of water.

"You remember him, but nothing about yourself?" Renjun finally asks, squinting his eyes, in disbelief. Jeno is too. "Make it make sense."

"I don't know," Jeno sighs, a bit exasperated. "But this has to mean something, doesn't it? Why the hell do I remember something about an angel but not myself?" He rubs his hands over his face in frustration.

"Listen," Mark starts, slowly, as if still thinking about what he wanted to say. "Just... Talk to Jaemin next time you see each other. It'll clear up everything."

"... I guess."