V. The Necklace

You were aware that you were flying. 

Multicoloured light surrounded you as you soared through the heavens unknown, witnessing the stars that you had often marveled at from your father's laboratory rooftop magnify, growing in size until they resembled the sun itself. You supposed that these stars were suns for other planets, other civilisations that lived in the universe. Yeah, that was a hard pill to swallow, the ide that the human race was not alone, the idea that the trifles and arguments of every day life were nothing in comparison to the clamour and ruckus of life that hummed all throughout the universe.

The scariest part you felt of moving through the universe was the darkness. Sure, there were the pinpricks of light and stars throughout the universe that offered a stark contrast against the black ink night of the twilight that engulfed all of reality, but even those stars were not permanent. The stars would last for millions of years until they erupted in a massive explosion, until the inner core collapsed in on itself and formed a black hole. Yes, even the brightest and biggest stars went dark and cold.

The darkness, on the other hand, would last forever. It had lasted forever, until a really big explosion started bringing in life and noise. But that noise wasn't permanent, it would last for trillions of years until all the energy in the universe went cold and dark, returning to the eventual and inescapable fate of cold and silence. 

You saw that future in the darkness, in the black gaps between the rays of each star. You could see the light and how it represented life, life that tried to exist in a universe that was not very kind, where over two-thirds of all known planets were too cold and too inhospitable to harbor any form of organic life. The universe did not intend to create life, it was a mere accident that resulted from a few chemical reactions at a few chance moments on some worlds scattered across the universe. Most of the universe was cold and unforgiving, not welcoming to life. 

It was this darkness, you feared, that perhaps was the foe you threatened, a larger than life entity that was determined to wipe out all forms of life. There was no way to face it, even if you could overcome the migraines that crippled you, that kept you chained against a metaphorical rock and kept you from using your 'Friends without benefits' so to speak. Maybe you could stop an alien army from outer space, but whatever the creature was, whatever had the strength to kill Thor as if he was nothing more than a bug crossing a car windshield, how could you expect to match the strength of that?

You thought that Stark was thinking the same things you were, about how small and unimportant life was in the grand scheme of things, about how all the planets that you passed were all temporary, that the gears of the universe would eventually complete their turn back into darkness as was the natural way of things. 

You reached out a hand and touched the multicoloured light that surrounded you, an ethereal glow that surrounded you and those from Tomorrowland sent to escort you back. It didn't feel like the way light did; it felt more like warm water, the kind that you often liked to take a shower in, the temperature that did not quite scold your skin nor leave you in a shivering state of hypothermia.

"Best not touch that," the man with the large beard warned you. "If you break the shield of energy around us, you will fall out into the abyss unknown and float for a state of eternity before you lungs would freeze and crytallise into ice." 

You retracted your hand and said nothing, not particularly fond of these Asgardians. 

You were aware that the light around you was beginning to dim in strength and a massive circle of light was beginning to appear at the other end of the tunnel. And before you knew it, you were collapsed on the ground in front of a rather large man clad in golden armour, looking at you with a bemused grin.