Orintholestes

The word Orintholestes means 'bird robber'. Orintholestes were small carnivores from the late Jurrasic period. They usually fed on smaller animals. They were adapted to hunting in dense vegetation. They were very swift, flexible and agile creatures. Most of the time these creatures were deep in the forest hunting lizards or small mammals. They had a very good sense of smell and used it to their advantage to find prey. Their keen sense of smell helped them locate places such as abandoned Diplodocus nests, they could tell when the eggs have hatched or trying to dig themselves out of their nest.The Orintholestes would drag the hatchlings out and eat them as they were weak from pulling themselves out so they would have made an easy meal for the Orintholestes. Their distinctive features were the decorative scales on their bodies from the back of their heads down their shoulders. These scales were long and narrow which allowed them to puff up during their mating time.

 These scales were long and narrow which allowed them to puff up during their mating time

Evidence of existence: Skeleton found in Wyoming Morrison

Size: Around 4 meters long and weighed 40 kilograms.

Diet: Ate small mammals, lizards and insects but also would eat carrion.

Time: 155 to 145 million years ago

Subfamily: Orintholestinae