Human

Song: Human by The Killers

...

Petekey!
zombie!Pete
blackparade!Mikey

~~~~~~

His footsteps were shambling as he made his way towards the town, mentally preparing himself for the many citizens who would scream upon seeing him and the soldiers who would undoubtedly shoot him if they saw him.

Bullets did nothing but hurt, though; it's kind of hard to kill something that's already dead.

Pete didn't like to acknowledge his lack of a heartbeat, often humming or singing a song in his head to fill the silence so he wouldn't hear its absence. He didn't like to think about any of his differences from the living, really; if his speech patterns weren't wrecked and his skin looked normal he would gladly choose to live amongst the living.

Zombies weren't like all the movies portrayed them. They could speak in full sentences, and they didn't stink extremely bad, and, most importantly: they don't eat brains. Their diets were only different from humans because of lack of access, the undead often having to make do with tree roots and bark and wild berries instead of domesticated cattle and fried chicken like the humans.

Their bodies still functioned for the most part, their brains whirring away with complicated thought and their lungs filling and deflating with air as they breathed. The only things they really lacked was a heartbeat.

Blood still pumped through their veins, just the familiar pulsing sound was absent. Pete attributed this to some cruel joke from whatever higher power was out there, cursing these people to live forever without something the living take for granted. No one thinks to appreciate their heart beating in their chest; why would they?

All Pete longed for was a heartbeat. Not to speak properly again, or to see his golden skin lose its greyish-green tint, just to feel his heart beat again.

A tragic wish for a zombie to have, but it was all Pete had wanted since he'd crawled out of his grave.

The city walls were only a few feet away now, the iron gate in the middle of them towering over him. He looked up through the spires and gazed at the sun, it's harsh, bright light causing spots in his vision. A hint of a smile curved his lips, the rainbow blotches he saw amusing to him.

That smile stayed on his face as he stepped up and pushed the gate open, his normal wariness of the city replaced by an uncommon cheeriness today.

His steps were light as he traipsed across the center square, tossing a coin into the fountain as he passed by. He had plenty of money, not that it was of much use. Most stores refused to sell to zombies, fearing that if by some miracle they didn't get eaten that at least the undead would scare off other customers.

There was one little store that didn't mind his appearance though, the gas station mini-mart the only place in town where the zombie was truly welcome.

He confidently strode down the road, flashing a yellowed smile at everyone he passed. Mothers shrieked and held their children close, the younger generation only fascinated by the so-called "monster", instead of afraid.

He eventually saw the gas station peeking out from the side of the road, the huge houses of the upper class mostly blocking his view. His smile widened as he stepped onto the uneven asphalt of the property, this parking lot long overdue for a repaving.

The electronic doorbell plinked as he stepped inside, wiping the mud from his boots on the doormat before stepping further into the establishment.

"Pete! It's good to see you!" Frank said from behind the counter, happily waving.

"Hi..Frank," Pete replied, doing his best to keep the long pauses out of his sentences today.