chapter 19

it was a piercing white that made the back of his eyes ache, giant incubators hung precariously from the white ceilings and directly underneath lay six oval spheres, one black with an intricate white web of veins, the next was a very flat gold, almost boring but the veins where a bright gold that hung reflecting around the sphere, the third was a bright sapphire blue with light pastel veins running along the surface, barely visible. the next was a deep red while veins like blood curved delicately around the contrasted red. the fifth was a forest green, looking a little yellow from the incubators while its veins weren't visible but if you looked hard enough you could see the webbing of a lime green around it. the last was what struck Dan the most, it was different from the others, it was a pastel pink, almost white as whiter veins ran on the reflective surface like water but the size was the most noticeable; it was at least two times bigger than the others, the normal size being about dans head.

it was rocking back and forth not so long ago.

he could feel the almost burning heat radiating off the glass and onto his bare skin.

what do you... what do you think they are?

dan had to stop himself from pressing up to the glass to get a closer look.

eggs.

eggs?

eggs. i overheard some people, these are not meant to exist, thats why the stairs only lead to the 6th sector, mr. ventura never wanted anyone to find these apart from the people he can trust most. he always came up here as many times as he could, but ever since i... killed him...

dan knew phil slightly regretted killing ventura, he could never hurt a soul so dan tried to steer conversations away from him. he guessed now would be alright, but having the ability to feel phil's emotions along with his, he knew when to stop.

what kind of eggs do you think they are?

phil didnt reply but a sense of curiosity rolled over his mind.

~

what seemed like minutes but was probably hours, the pale egg started to rock violently. dan had agreed to stay in sector 7, relieved of the freedom to do what he likes without the nagging thought that someone will see him, and also the curiosity of the eggs that pulled at him. he had almost dozed of before the noise of the rocking startled him, his pupils blown for a slight second before dilating to normal.

the rocking grew more violent and so did the beating of dans heart before a slither of a crack formed at the top, seeming to disguise itself with the faint veins.

look dan says to phil and almost instantly he could feel the ghosts presence on his skin and a heavy blanket of comfort covered over him.

it then happened all too quickly.

the violent rocking of the egg rocked it off the table it was placed on and shattered to the ground before a faint squeak emitted quietly from the shards. the pink, bloody membrane covered the animal inside but it continued to squeak.

ill go and try to see what it is.

dans heart almost skipped in his chest, the fear of the possibility of Phil getting hurt again was too overwhelming. he tried to stop the spectre but phil had blocked him out and was already floating towards the hot glass.

suddenly a bang of a white light exploded from the egg at such a speed it send dan flying to the wall behind him with a thud. pain crashed from his shoulders and back to his fingertips, making them tingle. he then felt empty.

it was weird, having all his thoughts and emotions all to himself, without the hint of just phil at the back of his mind.

everything was back.

his ears started to ring at a high rate and his body felt numb.

he opened his eyes.

sparks flew from the fallen incubators, bits of crushed glass, egg and membrane was sprinkled randomly around the room, the emergency lights made the room a dull blue.

he heard it again; a small squeak from the corner of the room and the sound of glass clanking to the ground.

dan strained his eyes to the corner and saw a silhouetted mound amongst the glass. it squeaked again, the noise this time was drawn out.

it stood up, it was only small; innocent.

just a minute old and already seeing the conflicts of the world.

it staggered towards dan, its bones still sensitive and muscles only small.

a head, as big as his own fist popped into the small emergency lights.

it was like a lizard, if it werent for the wings that sprouted from each shoulder, the skin hung between the bones almost transparent.

a dragon.

it colour was the same as the egg, the emergency light reflecting off the small scales and sending flickering lights to the walls.

it then stepped closer to dan, sniffing the air, wings outstretching a little, dust falling off the small creature.

"oh." dan said out loud, his voice airy with wonder. "youre a dragon..."

the dragon snapped it jaw, looking the opposite direction, now paying no interest to dan.

he extended his fingertips to the small animal, having not a care in the world.

suddenly incoherent thughts invaded his mind much like Phil's but these were more intense and made his fingers recoil from the reptile. his hand burned hot and his eyelids prickled with hot tears.

the dragon jumped back, landing on its side with its  wing gently placed under  its body. it made a soft noise in the back of its throat but its piercing eyes is what caught dan off guard.

they were exactly like phils.

blue, green and maybe with a hint of yellow.

staring straight into his brown ones.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

would you believe that i listened to a zelda soundtrack while writing this.

ALSO MAJR REFERENCES IN THIS CHAPTER MY EYEALLS ARE EXPLODING.