Chapter VI

Knock Me Out (feat. Grace Slick) - Linda Perry

It's already the next day. I got no sleep, Trevor didn't either. We stayed up all night wondering what we can possibly do to get away with this. Trevor said kill Camille... but that'll just make things worse. I considered it for five minutes before I cried then rejected that idea. I can't kill another person.

He also said we kill ourselves. That seems like the best idea, really. No more pain. No more anxiety. Happiness. Then I just cried again.

Now I'm sitting, puffy-eyed, cracked lips, across from the darkness. Camille. We sit outside, next to the big water fountain at Pub's Diner. She knows I've been crying all night. I never tried to cover it up. Her eyebrows are slanted, she's sitting back, her hands on the table. Her shoulders stiff. She's tense. It's like she's been going through some things, too.

"What's wrong." I say it without making it sound like a question. Our eyes meet. She's cold. "What's wrong?" She leans forward, her tone is angry.

"What's wrong is you!" She yells. No one is looking over to us. I gulp. "Don't yell," I whisper. "I'm so upset with you! What do I call you?" There are cracks in her voice. "Alison, for now," I answer. She takes a deep breath in, sitting against the back of the chair again.

"Alison," she says much calmer. "Tell me everything. What made you do it? Start from the beginning to the end." It's a lot to say, but I do it.

My eyes go dull.

"It all started in February, this year." And I remember everything.

"I got in a physical fight with my mom. We always got in fights when I turned sixteen. I think it was because I was getting older so she got more strict with me. You know, it was Los Santos. The most dangerous city."

"I just got tired of it so I packed my bags to leave. I had no idea where I was going for sure, I just came up with everything as I went along. But she tried to stop me from leaving. She grabbed me, hit me. I pushed her down on the floor and even kicked her. I then made my escape and headed into the city." She nods, listening.

"I checked my phone for the nearest hotel and that happened to be the same hotel Trevor was staying at that night. I tried to book my own room but they were all full. So then Trevor came up at my side. I had no idea who he was. I was just a poor college student. I couldn't even afford my own home to stay in so that's why I was still living with my parents at twenty-two."

"He lies to the front desk lady, saying that I'm staying with him. I went along with it because, well, I don't know why. I was stupid. I went along with it, I guess, so I could get a free room. But he was also pretty creepy to me, which I still don't know why I didn't back out then."

"Anyway, we go up to his room and then I find out how insane he is. I wasn't into any of it. I was planning on leaving the second the sun rose the next day, and I did. I left and found another hotel. But turns out Trevor got into my phone and put his number in it."

"I call him and tell him to leave me alone. I never wanted to see him again after that. When the call ended something inside me told me to go back to him." Camille's eyes flash.

"Why'd you do it? Why'd you go back?" She asks. "I really don't know. I wish I hadn't," I admit.

I explain more about everything.

"I didn't have the money to continue paying hotels my money so I called my best friend, Tiffany. She lives with her boyfriend in a very luxurious neighborhood so I decided she would probably let me stay there with her. We've been friends since high school."