disclaimer

"Ma vie est une énigme, dont ton nom est le mot." -Victor Hugo

My life is an enigma, of which your name is the word.

December, 1729

France was entranced with their young King Louis XV, who had earned the title "Louis the Well-Beloved". King Louis had been married for four years and had his first three children since his marriage at 15, but the same cannot be said for his younger brother Cassius. Cassius was the insatiable, crude, promiscuous yet handsome younger brother of King Louis XV. He had refused all marriage proposals requested by his brother, and was known for leaving a trail of beautiful young women, worshipping at his feet just hoping for marriage to the young duke.

Zosia was the bright, headstrong, enigmatic yet fragile runaway who stumbled about the frosty streets of Versailles in hopes of finding a scrap of food to eliminate the famine that rose inside of her. The frostbitten, wiry, young woman is plucked off of the streets by a servant family passing through the town and they bring her to their cottage just outside of the Palace of Versailles.

Requesting a job from the king, Zosia believes all will be mended in her life, that is until Cassius sets his sights on her.

I am not aiming for complete historical accuracy, but there will be historical figures present within my story. My goal is to please and entertain, meaning there may be a few historical details that may not follow the norm of this time period. I am aware that there will be a few details that are not historically accurate and I would appreciate if you did not comment on these inaccuracies, which are written on purpose to entertain.

My main characters Zosia and Cassius are fictional, but they play roles of either French nobility, or those who serve them.

Cassius is the fictional, younger brother of King Louis XV who ruled France from 1715-1774. Historical figures like Louis XV are mostly used to express the time period as well as components for the plot in this story.

I got most of my inspiration from watching shows like Reign, which is set in 16th century France (two centuries before where my story takes place) and also the show Versailles which is a closer time period to my story.

note:

zosia is pronounces zo-shah

cassius is pronounced k-ass-e-us