Chapter 7: Mon ange

April 27th 1896, England

The Harding house was still deathly quiet when the clock struck twelve o'clock. All was silent and still except for the sound of impatient tapping. Evangeline was alone in the drawing room, the drab furniture and the white walls her only company. She had decided to meet with Louisa and Nora that very morning to say her farewells; she had to tell Nora about her (dreadful) conversation with Hector before she left for France. She knew that her friend had been counting on her to change Hector's mind, but what else could she have done? She had played her part and tried her best.

"Miss Harding, the carriage is ready," Candace, a maid, said.

Evangeline got up and pushed her chair back into the table before following Candace to the door. She felt slightly sick at the thought of her impending conversation with Nora. She couldn't shake the feeling that she'd let her friend down.

As soon as Candace swung the front door open, the man standing there jumped.

"Good Lord, you scared me!" he cried, hand over his heart. He was a well-built man in his late thirties, bald-headed with a neatly trimmed moustache. He was wearing a white coat and holding a small leather briefcase.

Evangeline laughed, "I'm so sorry, Doctor, we were just leaving,"

Doctor June nodded and stepped aside, "No matter," he said, holding the door open, "Your aunt is upstairs?"

"Yes, she's still in her room—" Evangeline stopped. "She was fine yesterday but she had a terrible fever this morning," she said, worrying her lip. "She'll be alright, won't she? Nothing major?"

Doctor June smiled reassuringly. "Of course not. I'll fix her up with some laudanum and she'll be right as rain,"

Evangeline returned his smile. "If you're sure, then," and she turned and followed Candace to the waiting carriage.

As Evangeline looked up at the darkening clouds and the wispy threads of grey smog curling around the house, her smile faded. She watched as Doctor June stepped inside the house and closed the door behind him. She couldn't help but feel like something was about to go terribly wrong.

***

"No, thanks," Nora said, wrinkling her nose. The three friends were at Hewlett Café once again, chatting over tea and biscuits. Nora pushed away the scones and shuddered. "I can't face another raisin," she said.

Louisa laughed, "What? You don't like them anymore?"

"They make me want to vomit."

All three girls laughed and the conversation moved on. Evangeline still hadn't brought up the breakfast; she didn't want to dampen the mood just yet.

"Anyway," Louisa said, pushing her thick hair over her shoulder and sniffing at Evangeline, "I'm mad at you."

Evangeline's mouth fell open, "Me?"

Nora snickered, "Um, yes. You won't be here on the fifteenth,"

Evangeline looked bewildered. "The fifteenth? Of May, you mean?"

Louisa rolled her eyes. "No, the fifteenth of January,"

Evangeline smacked Nora's arm, "What's on the fifteenth?" she asked.

Nora mimed zipping her mouth closed and said nothing.

"Oh, come on!" Evangeline said. Finally, she turned to Louisa, "Please?" then she paused. "Sorry?"

Louisa sighed loudly and flung her hand in front of Evangeline's face. Evangeline still looked confused. "Wh—Oh! Your engagement party!"

Nora cackled as Louisa shook her head in mock-contempt.