Back To School Dance

(The next week)

"So I'm taking it that Evie is still not talking to you?" Jay questioned as he was leaning on the back on Mal's seat on the bus.

Mal glanced over at Evie, who was sitting in the front of the bus on the opposite side.

"You guessed it." Mal replied with hurt in her voice. "I should've never kissed Ben."

"To be honest I'm not really surprised." Jay commented.

Mal turned to Jay with a questionable look. "What do you mean?"

"I mean everyone loves Ben. So I don't blame you for kissing him." Jay explained as he sat back in his seat.

"I don't like him!" Mal announced drawing attention to herself. It... It just happened. And I really wish I could take it back."

"Look Mal, you just gotta talk it out with her." Jay was saying.

"I try to talk to her, but she just ignores me." Mal slouched in her seat.

(At school)

"Hey Evie. Can I talk to you?" Ben ran up to her.

"What's up?" Evie stopped and turned to him.

"Ben! Come on let's go!" Chad said and dragged Ben away.

"I'll talk to you later!" Ben called back to her.

(Later)

Evie was sitting at a picnic table outside eating her lunch

"Hey." Ben smiled as he greeted Evie outside.

"Hey." Evie replied barely looking up.

"Can I sit?" Ben asked.

"If you want." Evie answered.

"Cool." Ben said as he sat across from her. "So Evie. There's something I want to ask you."

"And that is...?" Evie made eye contact with him.

"Will you go to the back to school dance with me?" Ben questioned.

"Really? You want to go with me and not Mal?" Evie checked.

"No. I want to go with you. That's why I asked you." Ben responded. "So do you want to?"

"This stupid paper is going to kill me..." Jay was going on about.

"Wait Jay stop talking." Mal cut him off.

"What? Why?" Jay asked.

"Look." Mal pointed to the picnic table where Ben and Evie were talking.

"Wow I guess she doesn't hate Ben." Jay mentioned and Mal glared at him.

"Yes! I'll go with you." Evie agreed.

"Great! I'll catch you later then." Ben left.

Jay and Mal made their way over and sat across from Evie.

"So what did pretty boy want?" Jay questioned.

"He asked if I wanted to go to the dance with him." Evie answered, then looked at Mal, who was looking down. "I... I should go."

"Evie... Wait!" Jay tried calling.

(After school)

Ben was in his garage tuning his guitar with Lonnie behind him on the drums. Then Evie walked in.

"This is a closed practice!" Lonnie shouted at Evie.

Ben looked up from tuning his guitar and saw her. "Hey Lonnie it's cool." Then Ben took his guitar off and ran over to her. "What are you doing here? You know how people will react if they see you over here."