Chapter 2: Deflection

Shizuo still hadn't seen Izaya.

It had been five days since his talk with Shinra and Celty, and nine since the flea's smell had last contaminated his territory... and he might miss it a little.

With every day, he got more and more nervous and short tempered.
Shinra's final words circled around in his head and he needed to throw something... let out the frustration through force like he always had, he was smoking like a damn chimney too. Even Tom was being more careful around him than usual.

———

When he saw the figure, his eyes moved away initially, but were then drawn back.
It was him.
That fur coat.
That confident sway.
That entitled head tilt.

The flea was fine.
Shinra had it wrong. Completely wrong.

Shizuo to a deep breath.

"IIIIIIZZZZZAAAAAYYYYYAAAAA!"

———

Shinra was right. Completely right.

At first Shizuo thought he was just being over sensitive.

First Izaya's dodging was slower that usual. He's just toying with me.

Second Shizuo noticed the way his coat fluttered more around him. He really is thinner...no, I'm just actually noticing his naturally slim build for the first time. (Complete lies, like you haven't looked at that ass before)

Third, those close calls he always made to taunt Shizuo... didn't seem too deliberate anymore, perhaps he just has something on his mind...

Fourth, he was quieter. There were less insults. Because Izaya was as out of breath as he was... maybe he'd had a long day of fighting.

Fifth. They were approaching a dead end, the kind Izaya would never go toward.

Shizuo watched as the broker seemed to stumble slightly.
"Not feeling so good flea?"

"I'm being chased by a blood thirsty monster," sang the informant easily. "With no hero to rescue me. Of course I'm distressed~"
Izaya began to tilt his head back to give his usual smirk toward the pursuing blond but, to Shizuo's surprise, seemed to think better of it.
The bodyguard didn't miss Izaya's slight sway - was he nauseous?

Okay. There is officially something wrong.

"Oi..." he began, but then realised he had no idea what to say.

They reached the apparent dead end and Izaya turned to face him, those crimson eyes glittering in the half light.

"Shizu-chan," he began, raising a finger to his lips in a teasing way. "Looks like you finally caught me."

Shizu strode forward, but remained silent. Izaya pouted.

"I didn't think you'd de-evolved enough to lose speech, protozoan."

"What is going on with you?"

Shizuos voice came out more aggressive that he'd intended but he didn't miss the flicker of shock... then fear? in the informants eyes before he schooled his expression. He also didn't miss the ravenette's slight back step.

"I think you're the one behaving strangely, ne, Shizu-chan~" Sang Izaya lightly, drawing a switch blade as Shizuo continued to approach.

Shizuo reached out but before he could do anything, Izaya had thrown the knife to his left, and had dived to his right, disappearing back up the alley.

Shizuo didn't follow. For the first time he was worried, that if he did, he might actually catch the guy. And if he did catch him... he really had no idea what he'd do.

He bent down and picked up the knife, tilting it in his hands so it caught the light before pocketing it.

———

"What the fuck is going on with the flea?"

Shizuo hated how unsurprised Shinra was to see him again.

"I told you. He isn't coping anymore."

"He has a throne, a monster to tease and humans to play with like marionettes, what the fuck would that psychopath not be coping with? Hasn't he created a paradise for himself to rule?"

"He really did a number on you." Said the doctor...sadly?

"Why?" Shizuo asked impatiently.

Shinra raised his head. "Ask him yourself. He won't talk to me. He doesn't have anyone he talks to. Everyone hates him after all."

------

Shizuo trudged home slowly

Everyone hates him after all.

Why hadn't it occured to him. Had he forgetten somewhere down the line, Izaya had always been human?

Shizuo had friends, a brother. No one to understand exactly, but at least people who'd listen. Izaya, for all his faults, really did have no one.

How could anyone live like that. Without a shred of love from anywhere. No. Not even that. Hate from every angle. Disgust. Distain.

Shizuo may be called a monster by the masses, but no one who really knew him thought him as so. That was his consolation. His reassurance.

Izaya had no reassurance.