Chapter Eleven- My heart is golden, yet my hands are cold.

I ran into the hospital and to the secretary's desk. I felt breathless, my mouth was open yet nothing came out.

***Flashback***

It was after my dad had left us, I was 13. My mom went on a bit of a mental stage. I wasn't the thinnest kid on the whole planet. Barley overweight, mom believed I needed to lose weight. She tried fixing vegan food, leaves. (That's what it tasted like). She tried not to feed me as much, to her, it didn't help. Being a kid I had little say. Standing up for myself was terrifying since I've tried doing it before, didn't go to well the first time.

Behind my back mom planned surgery. Wanted a perfect, skinny kid. She scheduled a bariatric surgery, weight loss surgery. Yes, I know. FOR A F**KING 13-year-old? Me being 13, was terrified of doctors, my mom bribed me into the car saying she would get me a toy. Being an innocent child I believed her. We passed the toy store which confused me, then I saw the hospital. That's the way she was going. I kept my mouth sealed but knew it was trouble. My mom parked the car and had to drag me out.

She walked me inside, whispered to the secretary, then we waited. I stared at the wall not knowing what was going to happen. The last thing I was going to do was ask her. The nurse came in and took me to this bright white room. I wanted to ask why a room in a hospital is white, don't people die here? Blood is red, why would you paint it white, and have white fluorescent lights? The surgeon wasn't telling me what was going on, he assumed I'd known. I got laid down a sheet covered cot thing. I don't remember the sugary, they put you on some gas that blacks you out.

At the end of the surgery, I remember waking up to relieved faces of doctors. "Your awake," they said in an almost unison tone.

"Why wouldn't I be?" I was more worried than I'd been and my stomach ached with the rest of my body. I grabbed onto my stomach as it hurt so badly.

The surgeon looked at me happily seemed he had no concern, "Your breath went a little short while performing."

"I did....but I-"

***End of flashback***

My flashback started to turn into a blur as the consulting secretary waved her hand in my face.

"Sir is everything all right?" She put her hand down and rested it on her phone.

"Yes ma'am, I'm here to see Emery Baker. She was just brought in." I shoot her a look of worriedness which is how I'd like to say I got in.

"Room 124, second floor. Visitors may not be able to stay long. From my files, she just woke from her unconsciousness.

I say thank you, not moving my lips nor making a sound. I rush to the stairs since elevators are terrifying. Elevators get stuck now and then, and in very rare circumstances, passengers have been trapped for more than a day. I am not so much of a lucky person, so I take the odds and climb the mountain of steps. Gotta keep fit anyway I guess. After what feels like a million stairs I see it, room one hundred twenty-four. The door slightly cracked, and I could hear her parents inside. Even when in the hallway.

I stood outside the door, not wanting to cause trouble. Since that is my specialty. I took a collective breath and walked inside forcing a smile to go on my face. She looks so happy to see me. Since she didn't suffer from a concussion she lost no memory. She was just a bit on edge because she was in a place where she wasn't before. The hospital. I walked into the room fully and sat on the edge of her bed. I rested my hand on hers and smiled widely at her.

"Emery, You're awake." My smile fades a little but remains with my lip curling at the ends.

" Hey Chris, " she holds my hand wrapping our fingers around each other.