beginning of the end

Ellen had started having contractions and Steph started having anxiety attacks. Steph's pacing around the room did not help Ellen feel calm as she should, but Callum was holding Ellen's hand and helping her breathe.

"Deep breaths," Callum gently reminded Ellen. "Deep breaths."

"Deep breaths," Steph reminded herself. "Deep breaths."

"For gods sake Steph! Who's the one having a baby here, you or Ells???" Jordan said loudly.

"Shhhhh!" hushed Steph. She could not feel at ease while Ellen was so uncomfortable. Other than the odd painful groan, Ellen was unusually quiet and had been for the last 5 hours of labour, and with every pained sigh, Steph's nervousness grew.

"Hows it going" a new voice suddenly said from some corner of the room. The voice was funny, sounding like it came from a tin can. It took Steph a few minutes to come out of her panicked state to figure out that Jordan was facetiming Leah.

"Great" Jordan replied with a bright new energy. "Lots of contractions and all that good shit."

"Good? Uhhmmm ok....wow she's still in labour? Its been hours!"

"The nurse said this is just the beginning!" Jordan said cheerily as Steph frowned at her.

"Jeez, glad I didn't stay," Leah muttered.

"Leah!" Steph exclaimed sharply from the other side of the room.

"Awh dam, Steph...hi Steph!"

Jordan rubbed her face. "Steph's been the definition of a lioness these last 24 hours. Fierce and ready to fight."

Steph rolled her eyes.

"Hows Ells holding up?" Leah asked

"She's a tough one," Jordan sighed. "but it's worth it. Can't wait to meet the new baby Lioness! You reckon she's going to play football Ells?"

Steph tried to shush Jordan but Ellen answered in an exhausted voice, "Obviously."

Jordan laughed excitedly. "Wooh! Baby Ells!" She paused, "You know...we haven't talked about a name."

"That's true," frowned Callum.

"We shouldn't stress Ellen with that right now!" Steph insisted.

"Jordan's a pretty good name...just saying..."

Leah rolled her eyes. "as if they'd call her Jordan! How about...Leah Cathrine Convery."

"Not a f@cking chance," Jordan said firmly. "Callum, what d'ya think about the name Jordan?"

"Yeah we'll consider it," Callum answered absentmindedly, gripping his wife's hand.

Jordan sighed. "Babies take forever."

"Are you bloody serious Jordan!" Steph shouted. "Go home then!"

"Course not! Only jokes, jeez" Jordan backed off, defensive. She sighed at the camera. "Leahhhh, come on over, please. I want you to see baby Jordan be born."

"They're not calling her Jordan!" Leah said exasperated.

"Jealous?" Jordan teased. "Come on, then."

Leah laughed at the scene on the camera: Ellen having contractions, Callum in a daze, Steph pacing and sweating and nervy, and Jordan certain she was going to be the baby's namesake. "The new lioness should have a good name."

"Named after the godmother, I AGREE!" Jordan said, smiling. "Jordan. Like the godmother."

"Wtf, you're not the godmother," Leah cackled.

Jordan was confused. Her face let out all sorts of Nobbsy expressions. "Well—yeah, yeah I am. Right? Right Callum?" she stammered.

"What, no!" Callum scoffed, snapping out of a sleepy haze. "No no. Steph's the godmother."

"Obvs," Leah chimed in.

"He's right," Ellen grunted.

Steph herself didn't say a word, and just kept pacing.

"Does...does steph know?" Jordan whispered into the camera.

"I mean..." Leah shrugged.

"Well if she doesn't, then she won't know if I'm appointed to be the godmother," Jordan whispered.

"I don't decide!" laughed Leah loudly. She grabbed her keys and bag and went out to the car to drive to hospital.

"I think" Jordan continued, pressing her face up to the camera and whispering in a hiss, "we shouldn't tell Steph that she's the godmother and I can be the godmother instead."

Leah was in hysterics at this point. "Nahhhhh mate!"

Jordan rolled her eyes and sighed.

"Ok....Time to clear the aura of the room!" Jordan yelled in her usual chaotic way. She stood up, waving her arms around. "Only a few hours...or days...till Baby Jordan is here and we can't have bad vibes!"

"Ok, I'll be there in a few to help!" Leah exclaimed, starting up her car. "See yous then!" She hung up the call with Jordan, who stared at her reflection in the black screen for a minute before registering that Leah had hung up.

"Right," she murmured. "Ok...Ellen, you feeling ready for this baby?"

"I've been ready," Ellen sighed exhaustedly.