Mystics

In every part of the world, there is always some form of folklore of practitioners of magic. People who are able to tap in supernatural energies to perform metaphysical feats that are thought to be impossible or unnatural. Common names for them are witches, sorcerers or wizards. Though, common theory today is that magic was the word given to things or events that were too advanced or unexplainable by people who were not logically or scientifically able to explain them. In truth, the development of logic and advancements in science served to make people stop believing in magic over the years. In truth, magic is very much real, as are those that can harness and use it. These people are called Mysticals or Mystics for short.

The term "Mystics" was actually chosen by them after the dawn of the 21st century. Apparently, before they were referred to as witches and sorcerers. Druids was another term, an off-shoot of common mystics and is one of the lesser known names, though is still in use to this day, though just barely. Yet, the words "witch" and "sorcerer" had started gaining a sordid reputation for these people that had built up over the centuries. After all, 'witch hunt', is a term whose origins come from mystics being sought after and hunting down for centuries, long before the Salem Witch Trials, which apparently only had one real witch involved and she had escaped her execution using magic. The term sorcerer and sorceress was also quite negatively used back in Medieval Europe due to some that blatantly abused their powers for personal gain or to actively hurt others. The old names were also used many a time to slander and ostracize anyone that was or even suspected of being different, even somewhat to this very day. Magic practitioners apparently wanted to free themselves from the baggage those names held and adopt a more 'neutral' and fresh term to identify themselves. The name "Mysticals" was chosen roughly after the Second World War but the most recent generation changed and shortened it to Mystics apparently because it sounded cooler which, personally, I have to agree with.

Mystics have apparently existed since the dawn of civilization. The stories of magic and its practitioners go back thousands of years, sightings as early as Ancient Egypt with mystics serving the Pharoahs, to other old sources like Greek Mythology, Arthurian Legend, and the Grimm Brothers. In the last two centuries, Mystics have let themselves and their abilities fade away into the shadows as things of legend and superstition, much like everything else in the supernatural world, for their own comfort and protection. Yet, mystics don't seem to have to work as hard to keep themselves secret in the same manner that werewolves would have to, though they've proven to be quite diligent in protecting their existence when they must.

While other supernatural beings such as shapeshifters have physical traits that set them apart from regular humans, mystics are, for lack of a better term, the most 'normal' in the entire supernatural world. Outside of when they use magic and cast their spells, there is nothing to differentiate them from regular human beings. A trait that sets them apart from other supernaturals is the lack of glowing eyes. Even when using their magical powers, or under stress and conflict, their eyes do not shift and glow like a werewolf's eyes have been known to.